Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 6:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all, I just wanted to introduce myself, thank you all for your invaluable advice, and ask a question. I started reading your posts last summer before I chose my PA12 and really appreciate all the helpful info. I’ve been enjoying my PA on the mountain lakes here in Southern Oregon and catching lots of trout! Here are my basics: Female angler, Dune PA12, named "Fishe Fatale"; Lowrance Elite-4; transport in the bed of my Chevy truck.

Here’s my question – has anyone figured out a way to (easily) transport a PA on top of a truck and also pull a 5th wheel trailer? I talked to a local fabricator that used to make aluminum drift boats and they seem to think they can do this using the Hobie cradles and have a winch (and pulleys?) to easily pull the boat up on top. The PA would rest above my front bumper and back to just behind the crew cab – so there’s room, but I’m not sure if it would put unnecessary strain (damage?) on the boat to winch it up that high. Any thoughts or suggestions? I’ve considered toy haulers and bumper-pulls, but a 5th wheel is really the way I’d like to go. Thanks in advance for any advice!

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Can't help with the trailer questions, but wanted to welcome you to the club. These boats are fun!! Here are my specs. Male angler, Olive PA12, transport on top of my Jeep Cherokee via yakima rack system. Good luck and have fun! Sorry I couldn't be of more help. :(

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Fiver fiver fiver, that is all I hear on our forum for the brand of travel trailer we have. I chose a TT on purpose since we travel full time so we would have a real truck bed available for everything.

With a fiver the best you are going to be able to do is to have the rear portion of the PA on the truck cab and figure out a pole support on the front for the front of the PA.

Some random Modification Pictures

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Some things just aren't supposed to be...... :cry:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just found this.... Probably big. $$$$$ but it sure looks like the easiest way to load your yak in those hard to reach places.

Rob

http://www.loadit.com/