Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pro Angler Seaworthiness
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi All-

I am really torn between the PA and the Outback. It seems I keep reading posts that contradict one another about the sea worthiness of the PA. Since I can only afford 1, I need to make the correct choice. Mine will need to go saltwater (up to 5' swells long enough to get in), freshwater lakes, and rivers.
Storage (3 car garage) and transport (dodge durango, I also have 10' ramped landscape trailer) are also considerations.

From what I have read it seems that the PA is an excellent lake boat that also performs well on slow rivers, but is top heavy in rough water as shown in the famous video of the person capsizing. It also seems (but is not limited too) that the folks that own one Haul and Store it on a trailer, and mostly use approved boat launches? My guess is also that this is not a craft where you drive down the highway and pull to the side of a road, then throw the PA over a guard rail, and drag it over some brush to get to some secluded fishing hole either?

Please, I am not trashing the PA. I really really like it. I just afraid its like the Subaru WRX STI - Expensive, and not practical enough for me :(
There is not a doubt in my mind it is spectacular on lakes, However, I don't want to load it all up and go out in the bay, only to flip over and yard sale myself and all the expensive gear. Especially in our cold northwest waters. I would lover to hear viewpoints from you owners.

Thank you, and sorry if this issue has already been over discussed.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 2:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I am the proud owner of 2012 Pa 14. I am almost 65, have been out on the bays of Southern California, for 6 months. Have not rolled out or turttled YET! About 1/2 half the time I have fished the ocean. Launching and landing in 3 or 4 foot surf is hard, but practice helps. Would not trade for anything. Go see a dealer and try one on the water. Try to turn it over, you will fall out first. BTW I am 5'7" and weigh in at 185lbs. Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 2:45 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The Outback is a nice kayak and I've had it offshore a few times.

For the times you see folks having difficulty with their PA's offshore, you got to also take into account the hundreds of other videos with people having success with their PA's beyond the breakers. I think a lot of it has to do with the ability of the person in the seat, too. I would have had a problem in my Outback with the conditions that guy faced in that PA flip video...sideways to a wave with that kind of wind gusting - scary stuff...

I did roll my Outback in the surf on a landing attempt...practice those surf landings!

I don't have any experience with a PA offshore, but I have one on order and hopefully will get it beyond the breakers this summer...my plan of attack with the PA in beyond the breakers situations is to find some launches that are a little more protected, so I don't have to contend with big breaking surf.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 3:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I own both. The Outback is more versatile insofar as an all-around craft. If you want something that is very good at everything the OB may be your better choice.

By all means see if you can find a dealer having an on the water day and try out both before you buy.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 7:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I also have both. I'm 58 and find the PA 12 much more comfortable for a long day of fishing. I have used both in bumpy water and prefer the PA, if I'm going out for a sight seeing voyage with my wife I take my outback. I have not taken it off shore but have friends that have and have had no problems. If you investigate the stories about problems in rough water, one guy forgot to put his drain plugs in, another left his front hatch unsecured and the video that gets all of the attention the kayaker had a large cooler mounted to the back that acted like a sail. I have a friend that puts his PA 14 on his Prius. With that said, find a dealer or a hobie pro staffer and take both boats out for a test drive. There is no perfect kayak for every circumstance. Good luck.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:04 am 
Site Rank - Captain

For rough water put on outriggers. Have been in some pretty big whitecapping or rolling waves coming from the side and the outriggers make it a piece of cake. I made my own that can be adjusted from tight to the sides out to a ten foot spread.

Some random Modification Pictures

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the response guys! I go try a bunch of them today!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:25 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have owned a 14' Pro Angler and have used it exclusively offshore in the Texas Gulf Coast. Our seas are different than West Coast in that the waves are smaller but more frequent,

I have some problem getting out through the surf as the Pro Angler does not go up and over the surf waves (like my X-Factor) but the bow just plows through the waves. Consequently I often get a cockpit full of water, but it does drain quickly. Once through the surf my PA is a dream machine. Very stable, turns quickly, tons of room and the most comfortable yak I have ever been in.

Coming back through the surf to the beach the PA is a disaster looking for a place to happen. I have flipped my PA coming back in the surf so much that I literally got tired of cleaning my drenched reels. I have learned to come in backwards and keep my bow into the on coming waves and I haven't flipped since..........sounds and probably looks odd, but sure beats cleaning reels every week.

Although my PA is a disaster in the surf, it is so effective and comfortable once past the surf, I take it 99% of the time. If I going kayaking in anything over 2.5 ft. I take my X-Factor and boy does it seem small, after my PA.

I have never paddled an Outback.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Well, I sailed the fleet today. PA 12, Outback, and Oasis.

Thoughts:

I'm fat and had the uncoordinated fat guy thing going trying to get in and out from a doc that was same elevation as top of yak on water. Once in the oasis, and outback, I felt good, but feel the uncoordinated fat guy thing would come into play fishing from the outback (trying to reach around and fetch stuff, leaning forward, and putting poles in holders.) I need a lot more seat time for sure.

THESE THINGS ARE NOT EFFORTLESS TO KICK PADDLE. I was surprised at the sweating and workout I got from a short test drives out on a Smooth Lake. -This is probably a good thing, see above. :)

I did NOT like the PA. I was shocked by this. On all 3 yaks I went max speed (at least as much as I could) and threw the rudder over. I felt the PA was going to dump me in. No way I want it on the bay, It's a me thing. Seat was comfy though, and standing up was also cool.

Tomorrow I will probably go buy the OB and OA. I figure if I made a mistake on the OB, I can always sell it and get the more expensive one.

Thanks for the help guys.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Enjoy your new outback. It's a great boat. The secret to peddling that I found is don't be in a hurry. Peddle about the same speed that you would comfortably walk. Start slow. You'll be surprised how far you can go.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Basher15 wrote:
I did NOT like the PA. I was shocked by this. On all 3 yaks I went max speed (at least as much as I could) and threw the rudder over. I felt the PA was going to dump me in. No way I want it on the bay, It's a me thing. Seat was comfy though, and standing up was also cool.

It is still a kayak. You have to treat it like one. You cant lean opposite of turns, swells and other factors that change your balance point.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Basher15
I assume you tried out a newer PA ? I myself took one for a spin and felt the same way. The newer seat is nice but too high for my compfort. It felt very top heavy compared to the old lower seat. I fish 95% in the salt with my older style PA in the LI sound and bays.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I know more people that have turtled an Outack than have turtled a PA ......... Love the PA .... have 2 of them

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:50 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

PA no question

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

look how hard this guy has to try to roll his PA.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WBawvg8TkI[/youtube]