Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have ordered a Torqeedo for my PA12. I wanted to install it on the rear deck where it can be raised or lowered but not steered, but the folks at the store were concerned that it would not steer very well, especially in a crosswind. The advantages, at least for me, are that it will kick up if it hits something whereas it is fixed in place in the Mirage port and more likely to sustain damage, and I could peddle and use the motor together.
If anyone has experience or an opinion on this I can still select either one so you would help me.
Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Probably not feasible but if you mounted something equal in depth to Torqeedo off the bow handle, one it will give you advanced notice and two it may slow you down enough to avoid damage. Just thinking out loud.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have a rear mount Torqeedo and a bunch of us here in MD have them on PA's. First, did you get the Torqeedo or the Hobie version, the Evolve. If you got the Toeqeedo then no problem. If you got the Evolve then you are stuck with the Mirage drive 1. Hobie only make the Evolve Rear mount for the Outback and the Revo which REALLY sucks because the rear mount is SOOOOOO much better. A couple of guys with the center EVOLVE mount look at us with envy.

The Torqeedo will steer on a dime and so hard that you have to be careful at the highest speed. To do this, you drill 2 holes in the steering drum cover plate and tie 2 strings from the corner holes in theTorqeedo steering device to the 2 corner holes in the drum. Now you steer with both the rudder and the Torqeedo at the same time. Works GREAT !!!!!

If you have the EVOLVE then see if you can take it back and get the Torqeedo. Most of us got ours from Hook1.

I tried to post pics here on that before but couldn't get them to work. I can send you some if you PM me.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Whoopee that is the answer I was looking for.
PM on the way.
Thanks