Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

What is the signal,that an old guy (83) is not still young? Today while fishing with a couple fishing buddies I went over the side of my new PA 12. Life vest did it's thing. I was fishing behind buddies bass boat. I was being towed by the bass boat .Short rope. anyway I stood up,turned sideways I lost my balance stepped on the side of the PA 12 and It Overturned. Lesson learned Always make sure bungees are holding front locker closed. extra rods are tied down And above all Make sure the vantage seat is scurried with it's
latch. All toll I am out about at least a grand. Seat goes for $560 + shipping. We ere fishing Lake Trinidad Co. water temp 62 This was the 5th trip in the new PA12.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Very sorry to hear of your mishap but am glad you are safe! :D That's the main thing. Cudos to you for wearing your vest and peddling one of these boats around at 83 years young. Hope i'm in good enough shape to do that, assuming I make it to your age. Hope you are able to get back on the water soon young man!!! :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Number one to secure: Yourself. Always wear your PFD.

Glad you were ok. Hard lesson learned on securing everything every time but your ok and can get back in action on the water soon.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Crap! That is terrible!

Sorry about your fortune. Would have taken the wind out of my sail for sure.

Hope you get back on the water soon.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So sorry to hear of the accident.... I'm glad you are safe. It's to bad about your gear also. It is a lesson for me and a reminder to others about strapping our gear down. Hope you can get out on the water again soon. You might think of insurance, I have ours insured through State Farm and it does cover a loss like this. It is about $75 a year....

Rob

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Oh man!!!

Tell us you got your buddy in the bass boat to stay so you could all try to fish for your seat back! Not sure the depth you were in but stranger things have happened...

It got me to thinking - won't help this situation specifically at all - but if you had a GPS unit on you to make the spot you went over a waypoint so you could know the vicinity it might be in. There could even be scuba divers that might, for less money than a new seat (whooo! $$$) go looking for it (???). Maybe not... but I'm cheap and was trying to think of somehow to get that seat back. I'd be out in an inflatable dingy with a rope and a hook! :lol:

Glad you were OK.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We drifted to far while getting me to shore, unable to pinpoint the spot the pa turned over. We thru
Deep running crankbaits for an hour,no results. Water depth 25to 45 ft.we gave it the old collage try.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I always keep my seat latched down. I'm more concerned about it flying off the kayak/trailer when I'm going down the road at 70 mph :!: Feel lucky that the Mirage Drive didn't come out also :o I have heard stories of folks joining the USD Club and having their Mirage Drive disappear into the depths :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I purchased a leash for my mirage drive the day I picked my PA up, I may should have bought a leash for the seat also just for peace of mind.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

BigRed, the Vantage Seat already has a leash/strap built into it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:40 pm 
Site Admin

Powbass wrote:
I was being towed by the bass boat .Short rope. anyway I stood up,turned sideways I lost my balance stepped on the side of the PA 12 and It Overturned.

Yeah, could be very unstable while being towed. I'd imagine the boat simply took a turn and you rolled.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)