Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Interested in getting a quality locking system. I initially got a retractable cable system that plugged into my hitch but the cable turned out to be too short. Any input on the cable and lock? I would like to store it over night and still sleep.

Thanks in advance

2012 Hobie Pro Angler
Ivory Dune

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I use cable locks through the mirage hole and scupper holes

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I bought a neat item that could probably easily be made... It's like a plastic coated aircraft wire, about 20’ long with a loop twisted or clamped on one end and a hard plastic ball on the other (sized to be able to pass through the loop). The idea is to loop the cable through a scupper or handle and toss the ball part in a door or trunk. You can close and lock your door and the ball won't pull through.

Can probably get bypassed but if its to just inconvenience someone into not bothering...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:45 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

one tie down thru bow across the cab end of the bed hooked to the u bolts and then one tiedown on tail end thru PA bars back to bolts on each side...easy been doing it for years

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:56 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

A cable bicycle lock is a handy thing to have. You can get one that is 6' in length. If it isn't long enough to suit your needs, get two of the same brand and combine them...

On the occasions I go out of town, we'd run them through the scuppers or mirage-well and secure to the vehicle.

Always remember that locks are for honest people. Just hope the guy with a hacksaw isn't one that is browsing your setup :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks guys for the input. Do you know how hard it is to cut through those long cables that you put padlocks on?

Thanks again

2012 Hobie Pro Angler
Ivory Dune

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I bought this cable lock......http://www.kayakshed.com/nrs/nrs-lash-lock
The adjustable length, coated cable is 13 feet long and is very easy to loop in and around your kayak to secure it.....won't scratch or damage what ever it touches.
The $35 price seemed reasonable based on the quality of the lock and three numbers you set for the combination lock are easy to remember.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I got a super heavy (1/2") rubber coated cable from Home Depot that is about 10' long. I run it through the scupper hole and around the bed hole in my truck. Attach the ends with the biggest padlock that Home Depot makes.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:25 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I drive a Ford Sport Trac and use a Harbor Freight bed extender to transport my PA-12. As the bed extender is locked to the receiver hitch, all I do to secure the boat is run the cable lock (Masterlock Python) through one of the rear scuppers, through the height adjustment holes on the "up-bar" and back through the other tankwell scupper.
This has been effective in securing the PA plus all the other kayaks I've owned in the past. But as stated prior, locks only keep honest people honest.....if a bad guy wants the boat, he will get it, I just try to make it a bit inconvenient. :wink: