Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm sure this topic has been beat to hell, but what I've read has not convinced me on which one to get...

In the next few days, I'd like to be making a decision on a New Hobie Pro Angler.

I've tested the 12, but not the 14. I'm 6-01/200 and feel that the 12 is fine, but the 14 might be more stable. I also like the idea of being able to keep larger catch in the front hatch. As for a negative, I heard that the 14 sucks for maneuverability. I don't know...

I want to hear some pros and cons that you guys are experiencing with either model. Speed, stability, and maneuverability. I have a truck so I'm not worried about transporting it.

Also, Nautical Ventures is low in stock this weekend and can't offer one to try out. If you know of a place not too far from Broward Co, FL I might be tempted to go elsewhere.

Thanks!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Not a ton of experience, but I was in your spot a few weeks ago. Went with the PA14 and very happy.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Capt Gary wrote:
Not a ton of experience, but I was in your spot a few weeks ago. Went with the PA14 and very happy.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Did you test out the 12. If so, what did you think of both? And what sold you on the 14?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I went with the 14 because I knew if I bought the 12' I would want more space later. I dont know about it sucking on maneuverability but the 14 does fine for me. If you plan on going out BTB or doing much inshore I would go with the 14. For what, $100 more for 2 feet? Seems like a no brainer.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a 12 and I love it. Something to consider is how you are going to transport your new yak. If you are going to put it in a pickup, it is less important than if you are going to car top it. I would hold off until I had a chance to give both boats a good sea trial. Tere is nothing worse than spending $3000 dollars and being unhappy a week later.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have a neighbor who recently joined the PA family after I let him take my PA14 for a spin on the lake. They went to Black Creek Outfitters (where I bought mine) and came back with 2 PA14s. One for the husband and one for the wife. Both are in their 60s.

I asked if they considered the PA12 especially for the wife since it was a little smaller. The response I got was that they tried both out (BCO has a test lake on site) and told me the PA14 felt more stable and that the PA12 steering was too sensitive.

Having owned only the PA14, if I had a choice between the PA12 and the PA14 in the future, I would still go with the PA14 for just that little bit more size and stability. Again...it's all boils down to personal needs. Good luck with your decision. I'm sure either size will make you a happy PA owner!

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

BigRedObsession wrote:
I went with the 14 because I knew if I bought the 12' I would want more space later. I dont know about it sucking on maneuverability but the 14 does fine for me. If you plan on going out BTB or doing much inshore I would go with the 14. For what, $100 more for 2 feet? Seems like a no brainer.

I have a truck so I'm not worried about transporting it. I've seen them both in the seas abd they both did fine.

Maybe I'm just splitting hairs...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

SRAces wrote:
I have a neighbor who recently joined the PA family after I let him take my PA14 for a spin on the lake. They went to Black Creek Outfitters (where I bought mine) and came back with 2 PA14s. One for the husband and one for the wife. Both are in their 60s.

I asked if they considered the PA12 especially for the wife since it was a little smaller. The response I got was that they tried both out (BCO has a test lake on site) and told me the PA14 felt more stable and that the PA12 steering was too sensitive.

Having owned only the PA14, if I had a choice between the PA12 and the PA14 in the future, I would still go with the PA14 for just that little bit more size and stability. Again...it's all boils down to personal needs. Good luck with your decision. I'm sure either size will make you a happy PA owner!

That's great info!! I definitely would like the extra stability. I've been leaning towards the 14.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Weight difference is a bigger deal. I have the 14 and hard to move around. More then a one man to more around without scratching it up a lot.

Good Luck

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Can't get the story of the two 60 year olds out of my head. Looks like I'll be getting the PA 14 Saturday morning!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I tried a friends PA12 for about 10 minutes and really liked it. That was the first time I had ever been in any kind of kayak.
Decided on the PA14 after lots of advice from other PA owners. I had already decided to trailer my boat so weight was not a factor.
I am a little older, actually a bunch, and did not want to have, to wrestle with my boat after a days fishing. I picked up a double PWC trailer and modified it for the PA as seen on other post on this site. I decided to use the the double so that I could mount a large Thule luggage carrier on the #2 slot to carry my gear in. That way I don't have to load/unload the truck each time I get home. Worked out great, very handy.

I just hit the ramp and back her in just like my bay boat. Lots of public ramps here in VA so access is not a problem.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

considering your size, and the fact that transport is no issue, get the 14...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

It was a bit ago now but I remember being surprised by how much more stable the 14 felt compared to the 12 for just a couple (?) inches width wise difference.

Length wise, I think the two feet are all in the front hatch :-). If you were to look in your vehicle right now what would you have? A clean empty vehicle because you have a garage and in that garage, a special place for everything? Or do you have an assortment of tools you're never sure you might need in a pinch, something or other you don't want to get rid of but don't know where to put it, that item you borrowed from who's its you'll give back the next time you run into them?

I can't imagine not having the big front hatch and I don't fish/have all the assorted fishing gear. I have an anchor, a throw line, a cap for evening trips, a brimmed hat for being in the sun, a water-resistant picnic blanket, a beach towel, I keep my clothes in there when swimming, a jacket if it gets cool...

14! 14!!! FOURTEEN!!! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yakiddy Yak wrote:

14! 14!!! FOURTEEN!!! :lol:

14 it is!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Captain Yak wrote:
Can't get the story of the two 60 year olds out of my head. Looks like I'll be getting the PA 14 Saturday morning!

LOL! Here's a shot of Nick and Jim in their new PA14s. Nick (foreground) is in the wife's Papaya ride. Nick ended up getting a Dune PA14 for himself.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass