Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I thought I'd throw this out for feedback. I purchased a 2013 PA14 yesterday. This morning was the maiden voyage and it went very well. When I went to grab a Mirage drive to use, I took the Mirage Drive to my 2012 PA14 since it was handy and broken in (so to speak). No issues installing. It locked in the new 2013 PA14 no different than the 2012 PA14.

I decided to go back out on the lake this evening and figured the new Mirage Drive should get a tryout. Once I was out on the water and installed the Mirage Drive solidly in the retainer clips, I immediately noticed that the whole assembly had a great deal of slop in it. It would rock forward/backward about 1/4- 1/2 inch in play. I tried re-seating the drive several times, but it was still the same.

When I got home, I compared the 2 Mirage Drives and noticed that the main base area on the 2013 was different than the main base area on the 2012 Mirage Drive. The alignment pin was a slightly different size and at least 1/4 inch lower from the center of the main shaft. The Mirage Drive that came with my 2012 Revolution 11 looks the same as the 2012 PA14 Mirage Drive in regards to the main assembly.

Does anyone have the same Mirage Drive in their 2013 PA that I show below? I know it's not the hull or the quick release mounts as the 2012 Mirage Drive works just fine.

2013 Mirage Drive

2012 Mirage Drive

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:10 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have noticed the redesign of the Mirage Drive frame too, as I too have both 2012 and 2013 models to compare. I notice a little play in the drive when seated in my 2013 Pro Angler, but not too much...I haven't tried the 2012 drive in the PA to get a comparison on the play...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I spoke to my Hobie dealer today...great group of people to work with! Luckily one of my company road warriors lives where my Hobie dealer is so I'm sending the Mirage drive to the dealer with him versus trying to ship it back. The dealer is going to research it for me and it's my understanding that they are still getting some of the old versions of the Mirage drive in. So we'll see how it goes. I still have my 2012 Mirage Drive in the other PA that I can use, so no biggie. Just want to have 2 drives that both lock in snug with no slop...lol.

My curiosity is up on one point and maybe the fine Hobie folks on the forum will respond. If the Quick Clips are installed at the factory and the Mirage Drive is assembled at the factory, do they seat the drive in each new Hobie to make sure if fits right before wrapping it up for shipment? Again...just curious. Love the Hobie!!!!

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Mine also rocks back and forth. I know what you are talking about. For me it's not a big issue though. Nice to know I'm not the only one. LoL.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There have been several discussions on this forum of late that seem to indicate that the newer drives are designed in such a way that they do not fit snug and will rock to and fro.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tom Kirkman wrote:
There have been several discussions on this forum of late that seem to indicate that the newer drives are designed in such a way that they do not fit snug and will rock to and fro.

I'm not a fan of the rocking and the constant banging noise. I just want a quiet Mirage Drive...lol. I looked at some of those threads. My 2012 Mirage Drive works perfect in the 2013 hull. Quiet as a mouse. I'm sure the issue will get solved.

I'm still trying to get used to the new 2013 and the way it's laid out. Both styles seem to have pros and cons, but again that all depends on the individual, what they fish for and what their rigging setups are.

Tight lines...

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass