Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

For years I've always fished off of ocean and tarpon series yaks, but I finally took the plunge and I'll be receiving my 2014 PA14 soon. I'll be looking forward to standing, poling and covering some major distances. With that I'll be needing to set up my trailer in order to transport it.

I've had my box trailer for almost a year now and It's served me well, but the lid will need replacing at least on the top plywood. I primarily use it to transport gear when I shark fish or when I BTB, so we alway have a bunch of gear including several large ice chest (including a yukon 150) since we usually stay for multiple days. This also means I usually fish directly off the beach or in the back bay areas, but every so often I yak from a paved boat ramp. The yak or yaks primarily strap right down to the top and pending on which yak we could still lift the lid. I know this will not be possible with the PA 14. I'd like to rig it where I can still access some of the inside contents without having to remove the yak. I've had the idea to piano hinge part of the top, but I'm not to sure how that would work out. I've also thought of putting some J kayak carrier right next to the PA when its strapped down in order to pull a buddy yak, but I'm not set on it. Any tips or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

The lid measures 87.5 X 53 inches and is 40 inches tall.

Last edited by JustinN on Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Instead of the access from the top, consider modifying it (the giant box you have) so that you can access it from the back/front/side instead. The pic before the last shows the rear panel removed/open it seems ? This way the yak could be mounted to the top, yet you could still access the inside of the storage box.

You might want to complete the iron angle support structure to provide stronger foundation for the weight of the PA 14.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the input on reinforcing it. As for the panels, that has crossed my mind. Yes the rear panel can be pulled out and removed, but the top must be open. Somewhat of a security feature. I've thought of putting panels on the side to access the inside, but the tires are in the way. It has crossed my mind to change it to a straight axle and do a spring over with the trailer for more height. The problem that lays there is the PA will have to go even higher than 40 inches.