Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Scupper holes on PA 14
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Neither pair seems to be anywhere close to "natural" center of gravity - so with yak on the scupper-hole cart, you'd still have to lift/push down the other end . I wonder if there's a reason for it ?
I understand the location of the rear pair is so that the cart can be stored there. May be a 3rd pair, that is dead on center weight - for 2015 model ?

I got my scupper cart to where I love it: solid 1/2" axle, 30cm Wheelez, I can now roll my PA 14 through loosest sand w/o wheels diggin in, but having to still lift what seems to be fairly significant weight ... bit of a bummer?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:19 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

R11, here's a link on this same site. It shows a modified cart for the PA. This works perfect and center balances the kayak. The plastic is only for positioning and doesn't carry any weight. I also don't need the straps anymore.

viewtopic.php?f=78&t=47290&hilit=+Cart

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Scuppers aren't there only to provide a convenient location to insert a cart. They provide structural rigidity for the hull by supporting the deck. Think of them as hollow columns, if you like.

cheers,
Graeme

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Can we then get even more of such good rigidity with third pair of scupper holes ?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

You have the Mirage well, the accessory hole (where the mast goes), the front scuppers, the "Lowrance Ready" scupper and the rear scuppers. That's 7 support points already, and you want a couple more to make it easier for you to lift when it's on land?

I'd suggest you shift the weight from the front hatch to the rear deck when you're wheeling it on land, or maybe imbibe in a small cup of cement. :)

Cheers,
Graeme

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I think if they got us another pair of holes, say 18 inches ahead of the ones in the back, that would be center of gravity.

I made a very simple PVC support brace so I don't have to flip the kayak on its side to insert the carts poles into the scupper holes.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thought of something today that might help: have you tried inserting the trolley into the front scupper holes and pulling it backwards using the rear handle?

If putting the trolley in the front scuppers caused you to need to push the front down, maybe it would be lighter lifting from the rear in this position than lifting from the front with the trolley inserted in the rearward scuppers.

Cheers,
Graeme

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My cart does not fit into but one set of scuppers... Not both... Just a heads up. There were some problems of people forcing the cart into the wrong scuppers... Just a heads up.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have a 2012 PA14 that does have extra scupper holes between the front and rear re-enforced scupper holes. Never tried using those as I was sure those were never intended to be used with a cart. I have no issues using the Hobie Heavy Duty cart in either the front or rear scupper holes that have the black re-enforcement liners in them. The 2013 PA14 only has the front and rear re-enforced scuppers and they changed the design and added those large foam blocks internally for support/rigidity. There is the center scupper hole that correlates to the new transducer mount underneath. Otherwise only 5 total scuppers on the 2013 model.

I generally use the rear re-enforced scuppers for the cart on both the 2012 and 2013 PA14s as I find it easier to pick up the bow and move the PA that way. I suppose it all boils down to how much you carry in the PA when not in the water and the location of the weight in relation to which end you are moving it from.

Since the rear has those scuff guards under the rear drain plugs, I always pull mine from the bow so that when I lift the bow up to load on the tailgate or extender, those scuff plates are what comes in contact with the ground.

I sure this is not a simple area to address as it can vary widely based on how folks use the PA12/14, type of fishing they do and the mode of transport.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass