Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PA Hatch for Outback
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Al little bird told me that the rectangular hatch on the new Anglers will fit on the Outback.i've ordered one with the understanding from my dealer that it will void my warranty.Not so worried about that.I own 2 Hobies and never had any issues.was just wondering if anyone had installed this hatch into an Outback? I do more camping with my boats than fishing,and the larger hatch would give me more saccess to the interior,plus a bucket for all my crap,and 2 tackle boxes when I do fish.Any input would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: PA Hatch for Outback
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just curious how you're fitting a rectangular hatch where the hatch is currently round. I'll assume at this point that you're going to do some cutting in the floor. Hobie does make a deeper round bucket that fits the 8 inch circular hatch. I picked up one of those when we bought the Revolution 11.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Oh yea,there will be some cuttin' going on.the rectangular hatch measures out to fit.I looked at the deeper round tub you mentioned,and yes,it would be a little better.what I'm looking to achieve is better access to the interior as well as a larger storage tub.When going on an extended multi day trip,all that interior space is much needed.trying tp utilize it through an 8" round hole ain't easy.Think tent or dry bag and you'll get what I mean.I'll post a photo after it's in(that's if all goes well)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:37 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Here's a link to show that hatch in an Outback.

http://www.stripersonline.com/t/872108/ ... in-outback

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:47 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I put a sq Hatch in a 011 outback. Works great. Take your time, measure and measure again.

You will have to lift your legs a bit to access the hatch but no major headaches.

The link above is very good. He cut and plastic welded the area of the recessed sockets. I did mine before I saw his post and just filled mine with silicone. The rear mounting plate I had to cut in 2 sections and shorten to fit around the pockets of the sockets.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Filling the recess sounds like a good idea.fortunately,I haven't made any cuts yet.Still waiting for the gasket and the screws.dealer "assumed"it came as a complete kit.I have this type of hatch on another boat and it is great for dry box,phone,general stuff.But it doesn't double as a tackle management system.