Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Almost new and need help
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hello, I love fishing and was just introduced to the Hobie Kayak. My concern is that the only available yak for me to try is the outback. Will this be enough of a simulation to a pro 14? I will be fishing on the Long Island sound in NY. The last time I was in a yak was when I was a young man. I hope that I will love the yak fishing as much as regular boat fishing. I know my next question will be a loaded one but I'm looking to get the best FF/GPS for my hopefully upcoming yak. Here we go, any recommendations. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Since the PA-14 is 5" wider, 2' longer and the hull shape is different...... the smaller Outback is a wee bit different and so are the handling characteristics ...the common denominator is they both use the Mirage drive system........I owned a 2010 Outback, did some great fishing in it, but I upgraded to a 2013 PA-14 for more interior room, seat and just easier to move my old (70+), stiff body inside the kayak.
Everyone has their own preference, but I prefer the PA-14.
Re fish finders/gps...I am partial to Humminbirds Vs Lowrance.....my experience is the Humminbirds are more reliable.
I have a Humminbird 768 with gps I caught on sale two years ago at Bass Pro shops for $200.....the retail was $498.....it has a separate antenna for the gps and works like a champ.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:11 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately there are no bass pro shops near me. I went to West Marine and saw the Lowrance and a Garmin model. The Lowrance had better imaging and the Garmin had better tracking on it. Does anybody know the approximate range of a Pro 14? How far out can I expect to go to do some fishing.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:16 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Depends on the weather, water conditions and the shape you are in. Oh and how far do you want to go? I did a 3-5 mile trip Saturday in my PA and my thighs are still feeling it but I had a good tide to fight too.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:59 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

If you trial the Outback you will find the Mirage drive an incredible device that in my experience allows for better control/position, range and a better all around kayak fishing experience. If you find you like the Outback, I think you will love the P A

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:13 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
The Outback with give you an accurate idea of how the Mirage drive works but not the characteristics of the PA. The Pro Angler is much more stable and the Vantage seat is out of this world. If you can only demo an Outback then do it to get the feel for the amazing power the mirage drive has if nothing else.

One thing to be cautious about on the PA is the weight when loading and unloading. It's not a problem for 99% of our customers but we always have "the talk" before purchase

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Like Brad stated above, you are not going to test the Outback and then expect the same handling from a PA :!:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks again for the input. There are so many questions and I've read and watched everything I could on this topic for almost a week. My wife thinks I'm obsessed over it. ( I am). Is there anybody out there on the North Shore of Long Island ( the Sound) ? I'm wondering what to wear for a few hours out there. I'm assuming I'm going to get wet, do I wear a wet suit or a dry suit? What's the best PFD for the Pro Angler. So many questions not enough time. Thanks again