Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Torqeedo steering
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

For those of you who have a Torqeedo stern drive:
I have a Torqeedo on the stern of my PA12. It is connected to the Hobie steering drum. It works very well but if anything it may be too responsive. When I am going at 3 MPH or more it can turn very sharply and I have to be careful with it.
Yesterday I took it out on a lake and tried it with the motor pinned straight ahead not connected to the Hobie steering and depended on the rudder only for steering. It works well. Once at 2 MPH or higher it is quite responsive and the tracking is terrific. Once on a straight coarse it will hold it hands off for quite a while. Better than with the Mirage drive. I tried it with, into and across the wind, not much wind maybe 5 to 10, and it is the same. The turning is sufficient for most things I do. When I wanted to turn sharply I shut off the motor momentarily and made a tight turn and then turned the motor back on.
I plan to use it this way from now on.

Post subject: Re: Torqeedo steering
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

i found it pulled to one side. i have a 14 PA. do you use the bungee to keep it tight aswell.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The motor can be pinned to go straight. There is a series of holes on the motor steering plate. Put a pin through the center one and lock it in place. If it pulls try the next hole over.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

sorry i shoulda been clearer. i did have it locked in with a pin but when i turned the speed up it pulled. maybe it wasnt set correct and i will try it again. i have it connected to the drum now and only takes a second to clip the 2 strings on. it works well enough not causing any problems but when i read posts on here it seems i may not be getting the full potential. i wanna be doing handbrake turns

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

......... I never could get it to work right when it was pinned straight. There was a little play even when pinned. If there was anything that gave resistance on 1 side or the other, the PA would track to that side and sometimes it would only go straight if I turned all the way to the opposite side. I tried for weeks with that and didn't like it. Found it had to be perfectly straight and perfectly inline with the rudder.

Also, it would be slow in turning unless you were up to speed and wide turns only under power. As Oldtimer said, you had to slow the motor or stop it to turn.

Also as Oldimer said, it will turn on a dime when not pegged and using the rudder and the engine to turn even at slow speed .......... but you have to be careful at high speed so it doesn't throw you a little. It's that good !!!!! ......... it also makes it adjustable if you are weight challenged like me and shift your weight or have some drag somewhere. Also makes it easier to hold on a piling when fishing in a moving tide.

That's just my take ........... but again ....... it's personal preference .... I like it working w/the rudder and Oldtime likes it pegged ........ thing is that it can be changed by just pulling 1 pin.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

im gonna put some pictures up of my steering set up and if anything is wrong let me know and i will fix it.
its perfectly acceptable but it doesn't seem as acurate as what you describe having

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2