Hobie Cat Forums

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: HOBIE Cart
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:21 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:06 pm
Posts: 22
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Has Hobie come out with a fix for the cart for the PA14 yet???

_________________
"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." ~Henry David Thoreau

Image
2013 Hobie Pro Angler 14


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: BIGGER TRAX2???
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:37 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:34 pm
Posts: 116
I stumbled on a thread that says Hobie now has a LARGER Trax-2 Hobie cart;

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/show ... hp?t=17876

Here's a photo showing the new one below the original TRAX-2.

Can anyone tell me where I can buy it? I can't find anything about it other than that thread. I'd really like to get one for my PA-14.
THANKS!!

Hobie's newest cart
$219.99 in stock!

Higher Capacity (242 lbs vs 176)
Larger Wheels (30 cm vs 24)
Wider Axel (33” vs 29)

Shown, compared to the original Trax 2

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: BIGGER TRAX2???
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:30 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:34 pm
Posts: 116
Found one and ordered it. I'll post up about how useful it is after I've given it a work-out.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: HOBIE Cart
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:16 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:30 pm
Posts: 37
I didn't know there was a problem with the cart


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: BIGGER TRAX2???
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:31 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:09 pm
Posts: 18
So is this a Hobie product, or an aftermarket company? Where can we order one?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: HOBIE Cart
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:31 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:09 pm
Posts: 18
Pete@JAX wrote:
Has Hobie come out with a fix for the cart for the PA14 yet???


What was the problem?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: BIGGER TRAX2???
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:55 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:48 am
Posts: 137
Goggle the name of the product and the stores will come up. It's a hobie product so any store that sells hobie will have it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: BIGGER TRAX2???
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:59 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Admiral

Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:30 am
Posts: 188
Location: Charleston, SC
That is awesome...I have the smaller trax cart with the balloon tires, and I have used it a number of times for my PA. I think the bigger wheels will make a world of difference, especially going across soft sand.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: BIGGER TRAX2???
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:09 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Mon May 06, 2013 5:00 am
Posts: 73
I modified the smaller cart (one that comes with puncture-free plastic wheels) to accept 30cm wheels.

The issues to look out for (these might be applicable to this cart):

- the hollow 1/2" stainless tube shaft is weak - bent on me when rolling my PA 14 over some rough terrain. Had to replace it with 1/2 solid round bar

- The WheelEz "twist" locks are also weak and might quit on you at the worst possible time.Not sure if this cart uses em or not, but I do suggest replacing em with pin-based retainers

This carts does look proper :
- longer scupper poles ( so they will stick out of the scupper holes so that the retainer pin could be inserted
- elevated cross bar (so that the hull wont rub on the wheels)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: HOBIE Cart
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:00 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Tue May 27, 2003 12:44 pm
Posts: 9144
Location: Oceanside, California
Trax 2-30

There is a long thread on it. No "fix". Primarily a fit issue with the PA 12, but PA 14 also needs some adjustment.

Due to the bottom shapes of the PAs, the crossbar is not high enough to fit the PA 12 and not rub the wheels on the bottom. Adding PVC spacers below the collar clamps raises it and holds it. The clamps can not support the weight of the PAs. This can make getting the keeper pin in difficult.

Nothing wrong with the cart... just a fit issue on these two models. We will address on the next production run to make PA fit better.

_________________
Matt Miller
Director of Parts and Accessory Sales
Hobie Cat USA


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: HOBIE Cart
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:04 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:28 pm
Posts: 6
mmiller wrote:
Trax 2-30

There is a long thread on it. No "fix". Primarily a fit issue with the PA 12, but PA 14 also needs some adjustment.

Due to the bottom shapes of the PAs, the crossbar is not high enough to fit the PA 12 and not rub the wheels on the bottom. Adding PVC spacers below the collar clamps raises it and holds it. The clamps can not support the weight of the PAs. This can make getting the keeper pin in difficult.

Nothing wrong with the cart... just a fit issue on these two models. We will address on the next production run to make PA fit better.


How far off could that be?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: HOBIE Cart
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:35 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Tue May 27, 2003 12:44 pm
Posts: 9144
Location: Oceanside, California
Ordered carts today, so 3 months?

_________________
Matt Miller
Director of Parts and Accessory Sales
Hobie Cat USA


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: HOBIE Cart
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:46 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Admiral

Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:35 pm
Posts: 186
Location: Savannah Ga
I had an old hobie cart that I built to fit the 12" rollez wheels ill see if i can scrounge up a picture of it.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: HOBIE Cart
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:56 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:28 am
Posts: 20
Location: philadelphia, usa
hi, I am new to the sport, and bought the big cart for my new pa14. The posts are kind of short in my opinion. when I set the inadequate plastic stoppers, (which I propped up with pvc spacers) I barely have a 1/4 inch of clearance above the tires and I still have hardly enough room to jamb the pin in the hole. sometimes I have to remove the pin with a tool because its so tight. I was thinking of drilling the hole higher upon the post and shaving off some of the dome shaped pin head. Really not too happy to have to make all these mods for the $215 investment. But i'm thinking its probably still the best scupper beach cart available.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: HOBIE Cart
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:56 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:34 pm
Posts: 116
tinman7344 wrote:
hi, I am new to the sport, and bought the big cart for my new pa14. The posts are kind of short in my opinion. when I set the inadequate plastic stoppers, (which I propped up with pvc spacers) I barely have a 1/4 inch of clearance above the tires and I still have hardly enough room to jamb the pin in the hole. sometimes I have to remove the pin with a tool because its so tight. I was thinking of drilling the hole higher upon the post and shaving off some of the dome shaped pin head. Really not too happy to have to make all these mods for the $215 investment. But i'm thinking its probably still the best scupper beach cart available.


Are you using the REAR reinforced scupper holes, behind the seat, or the forward scupper holes by the mirage drive opening? I ask because the forward holes are better for overall balance and the hull is MUCH thinner there with a lot more of the cart poking though using my original heavy duty Hobie cart. (With foam black tires, not Wheeleez tires.)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group