Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a 2009 Pro Angler, which I purchased used. I noticed a crack that developed just below the base of the rod storage, on the right side, near the seat. I tried flex seal and so far it's working. Just curious if it would be under warranty, pro-rated of course?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Probably not under warranty, but it would never hurt to take it to a Hobie Dealer and get an official answer. Dealers handle ALL warranty claims.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Iceyak wrote:
I have a 2009 Pro Angler, which I purchased used. I noticed a crack that developed just below the base of the rod storage, on the right side, near the seat. I tried flex seal and so far it's working. Just curious if it would be under warranty, pro-rated of course?

You're out of the warranty period for a 2009 model. That area seems to be a common area for a crack developing and I'm not sure if there is a common cause. I have a 2012 model that is basically the same hull, but have zero crack issues. If that PA was mine I would do a couple of things.

First get a small package of RecRepair. It's a kayak repair product that you can find online. I think Austin Kayak might have it. Heat up a piece of the material with a heat gun/hair dryer to get it flexible and then remove the adhesive backing. Gloves are a good thing to wear...lol. The apply the RecRepair on the underside of that flooring area. It cools and bonds pretty quickly.

I guess Flex Seal would work, but I would use some 3M Marine Sealant and use the sealant around any gaps in the RecRepair under the flooring as an added measure.

Lastly, I would try and move some existing foam padding that is in the hull closer to that crack area of add some to help prevent that area of the floor from flexing as much.

While this is all work done by reaching that area through the center tackle storage area, it does keep from making any unsightly repairs topside.

These are just suggestions. Your temporary repair might work just fine. Tight lines!

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass