Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: right hand set up
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Finally getting my gear. I am right handed. I have Scotty 1050 downrigger, anchor trolley and GPS fishfinder. Need to know good footprint or what side for each piece of equipment.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: right hand set up
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nutty,

That's an individual preference that you are in the best position to answer. Your best bet is to be out in the water and visualize where those items need to be for you. If you use a "track" type system where the mounting hardware is adjustable in positioning, that might work for you. If you decide to use fixed mounts instead and put them on either the side rails or mounting boards, those can always be changed in the future if they don't seem to work out. The mounting boards can be easily replaced with new ones or other materials like a few folks have done.

It's a great question that you ask, but again one that you have to answer yourself. Good luck with your rigging. I'm sure it will work out great for you

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nutty 1.....I am right handed too and like the down rigger and rod mounted on the L/H side for trolling.

My Humminbird 768 fish finder/GPS is mounted to the right black board via a 1" ball, Ram mount and base designed for Humminbirds.
A second Scotty flush mount rod holder is on this side too.

I mounted my Scotty 1050 straight onto the black board and the rod holder using a Scotty flush mount.
I also braced the down rigger to the inside vertical wall of the PA-14 with two SS straps and 10-32 hardware + fender washers used inside and outside the hull to spread the torque/load.
The two mounting screws closest to the outside of the hull were mounted from the bottom/underside of the black board with flat head screws.....remove the black board first.....the white line is a safety leash.

I added a SS "hook" to the arm using a SS radiator clamp so I could hook the lead weight on the arm for convenience and get it out of the water.
The only other thing I discovered, after using the 1050 for the first time was "safely" reaching the cable at the end of the 23" arm...initially, I used the "T" handle on the paddle. .....
The final solution was using a 1/8" thick x 36" long wire, I fashioned a "J" hook on one end and a 1" finger ring on the other end....this worked well as I sat in the seat and snagged the cable for attaching my line to the clip.....I slipped 4 used wine corks on the wire so it would float.....just in case it went into the drink.
These photo's will give you and idea of what I did.Image

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:56 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

how stable is the PA with that 1050 DR on there ? what lb ball u using?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I am also right handed and I kept the RH side "clean" - this is where I normally reel the fish in from. It is also designated "re-entry" side of yak, so I didn't want it to be obscured by too much stuff.

The anchor trolley system and the FF are mounted on the LH side

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The lead weight is 3 pounds and no stability issues since I use a 36" wire to grab the cable and pull it in to reattach my line.
The black board did need to be stabilized from twisting once the down rigger was mounted as shown.

Agree with r11 on keeping the right side "clean for reentry".....I also favor netting the fish on that side if at all possible.

The Scotty 1050 is a major improvement over the smaller Lake Troll and Cannons Mini-troll down riggers.
The lever handle, cable line release/control is really slick........as soon as you let go of it, it stops the line release and when recovering the weight, if you release the spool handle, the lever handle automatically jams/stops the spool from releasing any more cable......I feel that the 1050 is worth 4 times the improvement over the smaller down riggers that are 50% lower cost....check Amazon for prices.
I removed the rod holder that came mounted on the down rigger arm and use my Scotty Power Lock rod holder.

The 1050 also fits inside the front hatch on my PA-14 :D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

r11 wrote:
I am also right handed and I kept the RH side "clean" - this is where I normally reel the fish in from. It is also designated "re-entry" side of yak, so I didn't want it to be obscured by too much stuff.

The anchor trolley system and the FF are mounted on the LH side

2X, I am left handed and I left the left side clean of add ons.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Jude wrote:
how stable is the PA with that 1050 DR on there ? what lb ball u using?

You could put three of em on a PA with no issues LOL. All on one side :lol: