Hobie Cat Forums

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:32 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:25 am
Posts: 10
Looking to add some accessories. Do you guys prefer the 90 or the 175 geartrac from Yak Attack?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:44 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:46 am
Posts: 34
Location: Liberty, SC
175 all the way! Very stable mount

_________________
badbill
2014 Hobie Pro Angler 14


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:46 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Admiral

Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:20 pm
Posts: 266
Location: London UK
90 with fullback
It's strong enough to hang my outboard off

Cc

_________________
May the odds be ever in your favor..
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:33 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:25 am
Posts: 10
Is there any main difference outside the width? Do they each take their own proprietary adapters for things such as ram mounts, rod holders, etc... ?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:20 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Admiral

Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:20 pm
Posts: 266
Location: London UK
Yes the 90 fixes through the hull and the 175 to the hull

Cc

_________________
May the odds be ever in your favor..
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:07 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Admiral

Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:18 am
Posts: 196
Location: New Smyrna Beach, FL
Both the 175 and 90 can be attached through the hull and the 175 is the only one that can be mounted to the hull. Personally, I am more comfortable with through the hull mounting to a backing plate. The 90 backing plate is threaded which makes it very easy to install. The 175 backing plate looks the same as the MightyMount backing plate http://www.yakattack.us/Images/ProductPhotos/FullBack/FB-GT175.JPG.

Outside of the width, the main difference is the number and location of the attachment points. The 90 has the screw holes in the center and the 175 has bilateral screw holes along the length of it. Will all other things being equal, the bilateral screws on the 175 are likely a more secure connection given the number and location of the screws. With that said, I have used the 90s exclusively and I feel that they are more than sufficient for the loads that I apply to them. This includes attaching Hobie Sidekicks to them for sailing and standing (and sometimes lifting the kayak by the Sidekick's center bar).

Image

_________________
Mike


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:01 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:01 pm
Posts: 64
175 all the way!! You can mount these bad boys anywhere you want...
Image
And with something like 60lb rating per provided screw (240lb rating on the 4" version) it is hard to get any more convenient.

_________________
ImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:31 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:25 am
Posts: 10
Looks great, after the feedback here and some research online i think i am going with the 175. Really appreciate it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:31 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Admiral

Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:55 pm
Posts: 256
They are the best .........I have 8 sets on my PA ...... 175's ....... i like them because they are wide and spreads out the stress on the plastic. They allow you to customize the PA for any purpose on any trip and change in an instant ............ ABSOULTELY LOVE them ......... if you buy extra Tee bolts and thumb screws, you can make your own bases for just about anything you can imagine and easily attach and remove it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:25 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:01 pm
Posts: 64
Memory Maker wrote:
They are the best .........I have 8 sets on my PA ...... 175's ....... i like them because they are wide and spreads out the stress on the plastic. They allow you to customize the PA for any purpose on any trip and change in an instant ............ ABSOULTELY LOVE them ......... if you buy extra Tee bolts and thumb screws, you can make your own bases for just about anything you can imagine and easily attach and remove it.

Any pics? I would love to be inspired to add more gear trac for even more customization. Thanks!

_________________
ImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:47 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Admiral

Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:18 am
Posts: 196
Location: New Smyrna Beach, FL
Check out yakattack.us. The forums will have lots of useful info for you.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

_________________
Mike


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:44 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:16 am
Posts: 57
Location: LA (Lower Alabama)
Yak Finaddic wrote:
175 all the way!! You can mount these bad boys anywhere you want...
Image
And with something like 60lb rating per provided screw (240lb rating on the 4" version) it is hard to get any more convenient.


Yak did you use the screws and drill bit that came with the track? Was the PA hull thick enough to hold the threads on the top rail where you mounted it? It would be very difficult to mount the track that uses the backer in that location - full of foam and way hard to reach.

_________________
Alan
2012 PA14 Papaya
2014 PA14 Dune

"If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before!"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:50 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:01 pm
Posts: 64
Alphonse wrote:
Yak Finaddic wrote:
175 all the way!! You can mount these bad boys anywhere you want...
Image
And with something like 60lb rating per provided screw (240lb rating on the 4" version) it is hard to get any more convenient.


Yak did you use the screws and drill bit that came with the track? Was the PA hull thick enough to hold the threads on the top rail where you mounted it? It would be very difficult to mount the track that uses the backer in that location - full of foam and way hard to reach.


I used all the provided hardware from YakAttack. It has been mounted for a while with out any issues. I didn't want to bother with trying to install backer plates and all that mess.

_________________
ImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group