Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:10 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi folks, I just joined the Hobie forum, although I have used it a number of times as I researched various matters on my Pro Angler. I recently decided to put a TM on my boat and made a video of the end result. No action in it, just install stuff.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7aZ5WzXy6c&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

Last edited by Hank S on Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Nice work. Let us know how it performs and what you learned once you got it in the water.

_____
_<>-+ copterchief

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Nice job. I have the 24 pound ASP mounted in a foam filled cassette. Full across half inch aluminum rod to engage with the retainers and the motor mounted aft of the rod. I did not even try to use the plastic knobs. They are not even integral to the cassette. Just a push in. Nice work so far, I know you will be modifying it to fit your needs as you go.

The 24 pound thrust ASP works just fine in the big old ocean off the keys, so my guess is it would work on the reservoirs in Texas just fine. Your Minn Kota should really push you if you need it.

Some random Modification Pictures

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I really settled on the TM I picked for features other than thrust. The other unit I mentioned in the video that I've seen on the auction site is an 18 lb thrust unit. I wanted more than that... I've tested it now and can run about 4.5 mph. I think it was just over 3 mph at 50%.

Interesting comment on the knobs. Definitely a weak link but I think they are part of the one piece cassette on mine. Did you just push them out without having to cut them off?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've tried it out a few times now and don't like it there. Takes up too much space so I'm going to move it to the rear.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The ONLY place to mount your propulsion is off the rear, the response and crispness is immediate. When engaging reverse you have instant control, unlike mid mounted drives, which are like trying to turn 180 degree with the Mirage drive from a dead stop,You have to give a few pumps and retract the fins and crank the rudder, it takes too long and is inefficient.
With the drive in the rear of the boat, you'll be able to spin 180 within your own length.

Another problem is clearance, with the motor in the Mirage Drive slot you have to watch out running aground, without the ability to raise the motor quickly is asking for trouble. You would treat the motor the same way as you would a Mirage drive unit. Removing it as you come ashore, where as the rear mounted motor could be raised at will.

And the biggest disadvantage is that you won't be able to use both the motor and the drive at the same time.
I use the Mirage drive to get where I'm going or to get my exercise or yes, to save battery, I use the motor to fish, fishing with the Mirage Drive isn't ideal ( it's better than a paddle, but not than a motor).

Another advantage of the rear mount is that it is Hands free, one of the benefits of the rear mount motor is that your getting your hand off the rudder allowing more important functions.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hank
Thanks for the feedback on your trials.
I have often pondered a small motor on the rear and continue to look. I don't mind peddling but a reverse would be mighty handy.

"If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before!"