Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I am looking for a fish bag or cooler that fits the front trunk on a PA14. I have put fish in the trunk with some ice but it doesn't work well since there is no insulation and if it is sunny the compartment heats up big time. Of course I can put a cooler on the back but usually have my live bait cooler and other stuff back there.

Any ideas or experience would be much appreciated. I have seen where folks insulate the front cover but I am looking for something more effective than that.

"If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before!"

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I use this bag for inshore fishing. All it takes is three frozen 20oz bottle of water to keep the fish cool for 6 to 8 hours in direct sunlight; less than 5 hours or if the bag is not full your fish will probably freeze.

It's small enough to put in the front hatch.. but I prefer to leave it on the rear deck.

http://www.austinkayak.com/products/938 ... h-Bag.html

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Or, make your own! If you search the archives of this forum, you will find a thread about using spray-in foam to insulate the front tub and lid, converting the whole hatch compartment area into a cooler.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Jim_MI wrote:
Or, make your own! If you search the archives of this forum, you will find a thread about using spray-in foam to insulate the front tub and lid, converting the whole hatch compartment area into a cooler.

Thanks Jim, yes I have seen that. Also have seen where folks put some sheet insulation in the lid with spray adhesive.

I am still wondering if someone make a bag to fit. There are enough of these boats out there now that surely someone is making a bag of a box to fit.

"If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before!"

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:37 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Ive researched this i think the surf to summit & the precision pak based on design and reviews etc. are..the best optionsImage....

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have a PrecisionPak and it works well on my back deck. Not sure which model it is, but it looks like the jpg in your post, and I don't think it would fit in the front coffin. It would fit if you remove the tub, but would be hard to load a big fish into unless you pull it out onto the deck. I put several 1" thick frozen gel packs in it and that keeps it everything very cold (fish, drinks, bait) for about 6 hrs in 80-F summer temps. One problem I have is that it will not hold more than a few large fish (1-20# salmon, 2-3 10# lake trout, etc). So on a good day, it takes several trips back to the truck cooler to keep your catch fresh. I keep my catch in the inner dry bag liner because that helps keep the slime off the inside of the cooler itself. It could hold more large fish if you did not use the dry bag liner.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:09 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thats good info thx i think the surf to summit makes a big one that could fit nicely on top the hatch