Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Side imaging
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Would like some feedback on your experiences with side imaging. Have heard conflicting stories of how fast you need to be moving to get good images. I fish small lakes in se michigan and on occasion lake st clair. Interested in seeing the detail that side imaging promises but don't want to waste the money if it's not effective at slower kayak speeds.

Post subject: Re: Side imaging
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a Humminbird 798ci on the PA14 and it works very well in side imaging mode. Kayak speed is really a good speed for detail in the side beams. There may be some distortion of object sizes if you are varying your speed. I think our brains can figure that sort of thing into the equation.

Some random Modification Pictures

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a 598si humminbird and love it. I just wish hobie would make a bubble mounting plate for the Lowrance ready compartment to allow the transducer to go below the boat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Are you guys using the frog or ram mount? Where do you have the unit mounted?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I get good images when traveling at 2-3 mph with a matching chart speed of 2-3, if I slow down the images start to blur. I will also say the transducer mount need to be very rigid and lined up well. My 998 HD SI unit was very particular about angle. Also it must be clear of any objects(hull) for the side beams. I tried using the standard RAM mount flex arm thing and it was not solid enough to hold my ducer. Water, debris and such would make it move slightly. I have an older PA - so no Lowrance ready system for me to even attempt. My opinion here - Lowrance and HB side imaging is slightly different. For shallow water( 1-10ft) HB seems to be a little better, beyond that they are both really good. DI on the HB SI units are not as good as Lowrance SS units. HB does not have a dedicated DI crystal and uses the SI data to interpolate the DI image. Unless you plan to spend a good amount of time learning to understand and interpret the SI images and are okay with spending that much $$ on tech you really can't use without constant movement, I would skip it. Screen size is critical as well. My 998 is huge on the yak but I still have to lean toward it to really pick out the details in the SI images. I could not imagine SI on a 5 or 7 series screen. I think it is a neat tool in the arsenal but it takes time to get right and time to understand. Again - my opinion.
I posted my make-shift RAM solution for mounting at the end of this thread: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=46839

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks! Great insights.