Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Patriot wrote:
"If the factory foot pads were not in recessed areas, it would be possible in my opinion to take a single front pad made for a PA12 and use it on a PA14."

First of all, thanks SRAces for the wealth of information based on your experience w/ SeaDek.

I would like to know if you removed the factory footpads on your 2012 PA14 before you installed the SeaDek or just covered them over? I have the 2012 PA14 & my footpads rise up about 3/16" above the kayak deck. If there is a recess, will there be a depression if the footpads are removed first?

If I need to remove the existing footpads, is it heat gun & plastic scraper, then acetone to remove adhesive?

Thx again for your willingness to share your experience.

I left the factory foot pads on the 2013 PA14. I made sure there was enough deck surface area for the SeaDek to stick to. I thought about whether I would have to sand the factory foot pads down on the 2013 PA14, but it was not necessary. SeaDek cautioned about having the air trapped under the padding, but I haven't had any issues at all.

On the 2012 PA14 the foot pads were removed as there is no recessed area that the foot pads sit in. I just pulled the 2012 PA14 foot pads up by hand and cleaned the adhesive residue off before applying the SeaDek. Always dry run align the pieces before you removed the adhesive backing so you know in your mind how it will go down. Could my measurements have been more precise? Yes...but the 2012 PA14 with that raised tackle box area was a unique challenge...lol. I found doing the templates that the PA is not 100% symmetrical as far as the alignment of areas of the floor. There are small differences in scupper hole alignment and floor ridges, but they are minor. Either that or I'm loosing it...lol.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass