Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am new to kayak fishing, bit the bullet so to speak, and bought a Hobie PA 14 as my first boat. I went over budget on the boat and now need some ideas from the forum on the best way to design a rack to install on the trailer (a HF 4x8 with an extended tongue), is it best to use padded cross members or pipe running length wise. If pipe is the best way, what size and how far apart should they be spaced? Should the pipe be padded and if so what type of padding?
I pick up my kayak the day after Christmas so I want to have time to build a nice and safe rack for the kayak. Any advice and help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Grandbuddy if you use the search function there are alot of ideas out there already. Hope this helps I'm looking to get mine toward spring

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Grandbuddy wrote:
I am new to kayak fishing, bit the bullet so to speak, and bought a Hobie PA 14 as my first boat. I went over budget on the boat and now need some ideas from the forum on the best way to design a rack to install on the trailer (a HF 4x8 with an extended tongue), is it best to use padded cross members or pipe running length wise. If pipe is the best way, what size and how far apart should they be spaced? Should the pipe be padded and if so what type of padding?
I pick up my kayak the day after Christmas so I want to have time to build a nice and safe rack for the kayak. Any advice and help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Welcome to the PA family! Like the poster above mentioned, there are many ways to store and transport the PA. The PVC isn't the only method for storing or transporting, but it seems to be one of the more popular options. There are plenty of example if you just search the forums. If you decide to use PVC, the 3 inch size seems to allow better flexing versus the 4 inch size to conform along the scupper hole line along the bottom. Happy holidays!

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

3 inch PVC

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk