Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:16 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I really hope at some point hobie comes out with a way to steer from the H-bar while in the standing position. In windy conditions I am constantly sitting down to turn the rudder.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:15 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Amen! ... x2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good luck ....... I'm still waiting for a rear mounted evolve for the PA ........... Etc

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:23 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Im still waiting for a throw up canopy that will keep you dry . Cant believe with the h-bar and h-rail there isnt a rain canopy in the making.
I will probably get motivated to make one myself the first time i get soaked in 50* weather...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Living in the Pacific North West, we use a novel cover called "rain gear" and for many others, "dry suits". :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Not sure if the rudder control is the same on the PA as some of the other Hobie rudder controls, but the hiking stick used on the AI/TI maybe an option. It just screws into the rudder control end where you could also attach the knob control.

2006 Quest
2015 AI

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:03 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Dr.SteelheadCatcher wrote:
Living in the Pacific North West, we use a novel cover called "rain gear" and for many others, "dry suits". :wink:

I have Frogg Toggs! It still sucks getting drenched with a hard rain out on the water in 50* weather . :wink:... Not to mention having to put them on in a kayak while floating!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

........ Besides that ....... I wouldn't count on their engineering team for something that works on the PA. Most of the accessories they say are for the PA don't actually fit the PA. There isn't a rear mount for the Evolve on the PA. The sidekick is too short for the PA, ....... until recently, the covers didn't fit and the carts frequently broke because the were cheaply tack welded ......that has changed though ....... The regular bait well had a tendency to split at the seams and the most expensive live well on the market now has complaints.

And then when I asked if the people that bought the old covers would get a trade in discount on the ones that didn't fit ........., well ...... The answer was ......... Hobie is in the Kayak business and not the cover business ......... Of course the post stream that contained that pearl of wisdom has disappeared.

I have a design for a simple standup control. Pm me and I'll give you my # so we can discuss it.

Oh and I also had to go with a Torqeedo so I could have a rear mount and devised away to allow the rudder steering to control the Torqeedo steering too.

They did do a good job on the h bar but they didn't make it clear that it wouldn't fit the PA 12 when it came out and several people bought them.

I love my PA's but I won't buy another Hobie accessory until that devise has a proven track record.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:02 pm 
Site Admin

Ugg. Same rehashed comments Memory Maker. Bad day again? Cut and pasted? This stuff has been run into the ground by you before...

Only current comment I will make is the the H-Bar does fit the PA12. No idea what you are talking about there. It is widely adjustable to fit may boats easily and can be trimmed and cut to likely fit any boat.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmiller wrote:
Ugg. Same rehashed comments Memory Maker. Bad day again? Cut and pasted? This has been run into the ground by you before...

Only current comment I will make is the the H-Bar does fit the PA12. No idea what you are talking about there. It is widely adjustable to fit may boats easily and can be trimmed and cut to likely fit any boat.

Yep ....... And what has changed ......... Has the sidekick been lengthened to fit the PA ........ Is there an evolve rear mount for the PA .......... And the problems with the new livewell ....... The covers do finally fit the PAs but there is no trade in for anyone other than me.

There were comments made on this board by people that bought the H bar for their PA12 when it first came out ......... viewtopic.php?f=78&t=42941&p=180419&hilit=H+bar#p180419 ........ This is just one ........ There are others. Glad you corrected this. Point is that the engineering from the beginning should be better especially for the cost of the accessories.

Last edited by Memory Maker on Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

One thing to keep in mind is that while standing, the boat won't be under power from the mirage drive and therefore it's unlikely you'll actually have steerage. Of course, if you're just attempting to hold the rudder over to keep the stern turned to one direction in current or drift, there are many ways to do this. A hiking stick attached to the tiller handle is perhaps the easiest. Or, take an SUP paddle with you and keep it attached to the H-bar with a paddle clip. Use as necessary. You can devise more elaborate devices, no doubt, but at some point the complexity and amount of additional parts and pieces starts to overwhelm the inherent simplicity of most kayak type fishing boats.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tom Kirkman wrote:
One thing to keep in mind is that while standing, the boat won't be under power from the mirage drive and therefore it's unlikely you'll actually have steerage. Of course, if you're just attempting to hold the rudder over to keep the stern turned to one direction in current or drift, there are many ways to do this. A hiking stick attached to the tiller handle is perhaps the easiest. Or, take an SUP paddle with you and keep it attached to the H-bar with a paddle clip. Use as necessary. You can devise more elaborate devices, no doubt, but at some point the complexity and amount of additional parts and pieces starts to overwhelm the inherent simplicity of most kayak type fishing boats.

Points well made Tom .......... But you can be under power from a Torqeedo Rearmount or Evolve center mount I think. You can also cut a slot in a piece of PVC pipe to fit over the handle ...... It will act as a handle extension so you can stand and steer. You can also mount the Torqeedo throttle on the H Bar. Thought about it but haven't done it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Memory Maker....Just my thoughts after reading the previous comments about standing/casting/steering control with the torqeedo/evolve motor....I think you would be much happier using a 12' Jon Boat with this installed http://www.minnkotamotors.com/i-Pilot/
It meets/solves all of your requirements that you do not like about your PA and appears the Mirage Drive is not important to propel your kayak... :idea:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dr.SteelheadCatcher wrote:
Memory Maker....Just my thoughts after reading the previous comments about standing/casting/steering control with the torqeedo/evolve motor....I think you would be much happier using a 12' Jon Boat with this installed http://www.minnkotamotors.com/i-Pilot/
It meets/solves all of your requirements that you do not like about your PA and appears the Mirage Drive is not important to propel your kayak... :idea:

I have a Jon boat ........ I like the Pa better. These were thoughts to allow seeing and casting further for redfish flats fishing. I have not tried it yet. Besides, this thread was started by someone else wanting to stand and steer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

When I stand and fish from my PA14, I'm typically using a "SUP" paddle to move around. I use that to push the rudder controls into position from a standing position. (I have two rudder controls fitted, of course).

Doing this allows me enough control to sight fish on flats.

Cheers,
Graeme