Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rod Length?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am waiting on my Pro Angler 12 and I was wondering what size rods fit in the holders? I was also thinking about using a piece of foam pipe insulation in the rod holders. It would protect the rod tip and keep the rod from bouncing around. :wink:

Post subject: Re: Rod Length?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Fishin Phil wrote:
I am waiting on my Pro Angler 12 and I was wondering what size rods fit in the holders? I was also thinking about using a piece of foam pipe insulation in the rod holders. It would protect the rod tip and keep the rod from bouncing around. :wink:

I really don't think you need to do anything to protect your rods in the holders. The PVC sleeves are crimped at the end so the rod tips don't catch. Just be careful as you pull them out. I don't use them much anymore since I rigged my rod holders. I find that they don't come out of the holders easily when I am actually sitting on the water, so I keep them in holders behind me and they are more readily available. I keep each of the 4 rods rigged differently and change often so I find the holders just don't work for me except during transport. I fish with 7' spinning rods and they fit fine. Haven't tried anything longer 'cause I don't have any.

Finally Retired, Fish Beware!

2013 Hobie Pro Angler 14
2012 Hobie Pro Angler 12
2001 Hobie Hank Parker Edition Outback

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I can't answer for a PA12, but for PA14s, I use mostly 7 foot one-piece rods. Depending on how I position them, I either have them with the reels in front of the Vantage seat legs or one behind the front seat legs on either side. Even though you lose a little length in the PA12, I would think that 7 foot rods should not be an issue especially since the area by the seat is a little longer on the PA12 than the PA14. That's probably the reason for the difference in the layout by the Vantage seat.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My first Hobie kayak was an Outback and now I have a PA-14.......I used nothing but my Lamiglas 8' 6", two piece, level wind rod I bought for Trout/Steelhead/Salmon fishing......in both kayaks, I have never had an issue with the rod being too long.
I normally store it in my Scotty power lock rod holder turned parallel to the hull......If I break it down, it fits nicely in the rod storage tube.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I also carry 4 rods set up differently on PA12.
i.e. bottom bashing, lure flicking, squid jig and h/body trolling.
All rods are 6'6" or 7', so you can get the line around bow or stern easily,1 and 2 piece, 2-8 lb.
No need for additional protection if good rod holders are used.
Suggest a good leash/bungge/clip to secure when rods not being used.
I also have one rod holder mounted on right rail at 45 degrees and pointing straight to bow.
This is the one I put rod in while i'm rigging or removing fish. Really works well as it dosn't get in the way of anything. It's like having an extra arm to hold you rod in a good spot :-)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you for your replies.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I use rod gloves/sleeves with my rods in my PA-14, I have caught a line guide (several times) removing a rod and the sleeves help a lot, especially with expensive rods. 7' rods are no problem in my PA-14 on the right side, but it's a 2012 and with the steering on the left side the top two tubes are obstructed so I store rods under 6'6" there. The newer PA's have the steering handle in a different location so I think 7' rods would be fine on either side. I keep my rods stored in those tubes when not in use - main reason I bought the PA was to NOT have my rods sticking up in the air. I have a rod holder mounted similar to what was mentioned above to hold my rod while changing lures, or changing kayak position, but seldom do I have a rod sticking up in the air unless I'm fishing with it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a 2012 PA 12 and 7' rods fit in the horizontal rod tubes just fine. Anything longer may be a problem. Be careful of rod guides when removing and inserting and you will be fine.