Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:51 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just bought a PA12. I've been reading and watching a ton of youtube videos about the pro anglers and it seems like everyone that loads them in a truck uses a bed extender. Is this necessary or just a precuation due to the weight of the pro angler? I will be loading it into a 6.5' bed on a Toyota Tundra. I've had a Hobie Revo 13 and an Ocean Kayak Trident 13 in that truck bed with no extender before. Obviously this boat is a bit more expensive so I don't want to take the same chances. Just curious what the majority feel about this. Thanks guys.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I don't believe So, mostly because the shape of the PA when loadibg it nose first would make the bed extender useless. The curve of the hull when approaching the stern wouldn't touch the bed even if the bed was long enough. I tie down the nose handle abd run one strap through each of the scuppers behind the seat to a low tie down point on the sides of the truck bed. Hopefully that made sense I'm kinda rambling

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

jarrodmo wrote:
I just bought a PA12. I've been reading and watching a ton of youtube videos about the pro anglers and it seems like everyone that loads them in a truck uses a bed extender. Is this necessary or just a precuation due to the weight of the pro angler? I will be loading it into a 6.5' bed on a Toyota Tundra. I've had a Hobie Revo 13 and an Ocean Kayak Trident 13 in that truck bed with no extender before. Obviously this boat is a bit more expensive so I don't want to take the same chances. Just curious what the majority feel about this. Thanks guys.

Until I got the trailer, I secured the PA14 by loading it bow first into the bed of my "short bed" F-150 SuperCrew. For the short trips down the street to one of the 2 boat ramps in my subdivision, I did not use a bed extender. I would run a ratchet type tie-down strap from the rear tie-down hooks through the side rails. I did not run any type of strap through the bow handle or use the tie-downs at the front of the bed.

Never had an issue. For trips outside the subdivision, I used the bed extender (T-bar) for added piece of mind and just used one of those heavy rubber straps with the "S" hooks on either end across the rear cargo area to just keep it from moving off the T-bar if I hit a bump.

The primary reason for loading bow first is so that the stern rest on those 2 scuff pads by the drains on the PA. Hope this helps answer your concerns.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

Last edited by SRAces on Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a Ford Fx4 flareside with a 6.5 bed and with the tail gate down , I load my Pa14 in without any problems. And sometimes a Revo stacked on top of it. No worries.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Great, thanks for the replies guys.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I load my PA14 in my F250 and don't use a bed extender. My truck has a full length bed. I soit the kayak on two 2x12 padded boards that sit in the slots designed in the Ford bed. I have no issues.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a 97 Ranger. PA loads fine. I did get 2 pieces of schedule 40 pvc pipe to set it on for 2 reasons. First makes loading and unloading easier because of sliding. Second it the heat will deform the bottom if left in a hot truck bed. The pipes are connected by pieces of nylon rope knotted at both ends and ran through holes drilled through the pipes. This keeps the pipe from separating while loading or unloading.
You will like your new toy.
Jim

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

When I first bought my PA-12 I didn't use a bed extender. But, I did put an old boat cushion between the front of the bed and the whichever handle went in first. Any way I tried to secure it still allowed the boat to bob up and down when I hit a bump. I couldn't say for sure that the motion would damage the handles, but I decided the bed extender was cheap insurance to prevent any damage. Not using it might not cause any damage, but if it does the warranty will not pay for repairs or replacement. The $60 bed extender was really cheap insurance to be sure my $2500 boat is around to use for many years. It actually turned out to be one of the cheaper mods I have put on it.

Finally Retired, Fish Beware!

2013 Hobie Pro Angler 14
2012 Hobie Pro Angler 12
2001 Hobie Hank Parker Edition Outback

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a 2013 PA 12 that I haul in my 2013 F150 Supercrew. I don't use a bed extender, nor do I feel it is necessary. I load it bow first, run a strap around the bed hinges (not the tie down points in the bed), and it's fine. The biggest thing is running the straps around the hinges. That gives more vertical holding power vs using the tie down locations. I have traveled several hours with it like that and it has been just fine. No need to keep up with a bed extender.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Spectre5922 wrote:
I have a 2013 PA 12 that I haul in my 2013 F150 Supercrew. I don't use a bed extender, nor do I feel it is necessary. I load it bow first, run a strap around the bed hinges (not the tie down points in the bed), and it's fine. The biggest thing is running the straps around the hinges. That gives more vertical holding power vs using the tie down locations. I have traveled several hours with it like that and it has been just fine. No need to keep up with a bed extender.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

I am having trouble picturing what you mean by bed hinges? Are you using a ratchet strap? Where are you connecting each end to?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Figured I'd post my update to this thread. I honestly can't figure out why anyone with a decent sized bed would bother with the bed extender. I have travelled a few miles since picking up my PA12. I have been sticking it in the bed corner to corner and I don't think more then 2-3 feet of the boat sticks out. I run one strap from my tie down in the truck around the back end of the boat sticking out of the truck (and through the back handle of the yak) and back to the same tie down and the thing doesn't budge.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

2x with jarrodmo. I hauled my 12 on several trips of 200+ miles wihout issue. Tied the front handle to each side of the front bed tie-downs, and the back handle to each side of the rear bed tie-downs. Loaded from right corner to left corner, and with tailgate down, only had about 3 feet sticking out of a short bed GMC 2500 4x4.

Heroes don't wear capes; they wear dog tags