Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Trying to figure out a storage technique.

I only have room to store the PA 12 on it's side hanging from a wall, like you would normally see Jhooks. The manual discourages storing on the side on a flat surface, but is unclear about other side techniques.

I was considering a dual sling approach which would spread the load better than the common Jhook. It would be using 2 single ply eye hook slings like the ones at the site below that would be hooked on hooks protruding 6" from the wall. The PA wold be exactly vertical on its side, not leaning. The bottom of the hull would rest against the wall, but not with any force.

http://www.uscargocontrol.com/Lifting-Slings/Eye-Eye-Slings-Type-3-Flat

I was thinking of about a 4" sling width and two 8' slings. I suppose I would use the recommended cradle spacing, 67"? Does this look like it would be safe for the PA?

thanks,
fred

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:25 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I wouldn't.
I had the side of my first PA12 dent in after being stored on it's side, sitting in a rack with padded 2x4's....after only four days in the garage.

If this is the only option available to you, I would go with the 12" straps and build a sling system.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks FireDog,

I do have room to store it properly in another shed, but it is not fully enclosed and I am in a rural environment. Does anyone know if squirrels or rats like to eat Hobies?

thanks,
fred

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

If you store the kayak upside down, which is what Hobie recommends anyway, and off the ground, you should not have a problem with critters. In my area I have field mice and feral cats that have taken up residence in various locations but never in the kayaks that I have mounted on a T stand that has 2 kayaks on their sides in J hooks and a third that is on the top of the T and upside down.

I used 4x4 pressure treated lumber set into post holes that I filled with concrete (post mix) and 2x4 cross pieces topped with closed cell foam and it supports the boats with minimal foot print and is never going to blow over or get knocked over. I bungee a tarp in place over the rack to keep the boats clean.

Indoors a couple of sawhorses would also work with the boat upside down. I also like the Suspenz products which are very well designed and constructed. Not the cheapest solution but their racks and stands are a one time expense. I have a set of their large workstation stands that I use when doing rigging on my kayaks.

http://www.suspenzkayakstorage.com/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:14 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral