Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kayak Storage
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My kayaks used to live on the couches. My buddy and I finally made a stand for them. I made it high enough to slide the Pro Angler into the bed of my truck. I don't really like how the Mini X is stored but it will work for the moment. Overall I think it will work out good.

Post subject: Re: Kayak Storage
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:26 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

It looks great. What are the dimensions of your kayak stand? Did you use pressure treated wood?

Sent from my SCH-R530M using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The dimensions are 7' long by 40"wide and 40" high. I did use pressure treated wood. I got some caster wheels that are rated for 330lbs each. It is as high as my tailgate on my truck so I (hopefully) wont have to lug this beast around as much as I did when it lived on the arms of the love seat. I plan on running some pvc lengthwise for the Mini X like I did for the PA.
By the way, thanks for the reply. For a minute, I thought we did a crappy job. LOL

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

That thing looks pretty slick, nice work. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Is that 2 or 3 inch pipe? Also anything bracing the pipe sex in the middle or are they floating?

Sent from my SCH-R530M using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks guys. It is actually 2 1/2" electrical conduit. I thought it might be a little thicker and most likely repel the UV rays when it is in the driveway.The sections in the middle are not supported. I was hoping the play in it would contour to the hull a little better.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:23 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm making a similar cart but on mine I used 4 small pieces of PVC pipe rather than 2 long pieces. My question is with the short pieces work or will that do damage and cause warpage in the heat? My kayak is stored in a un ac garage

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am not sure if you are running your pipes lengthwise or going sideways. Hobie recommends going the length of the Kayak with the PVC running down the ridges. I have it spaced roughly 11 1/2' apart.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

DaytonaBeach wrote:
I am not sure if you are running your pipes lengthwise or going sideways. Hobie recommends going the length of the Kayak with the PVC running down the ridges. I have it spaced roughly 11 1/2' apart.

Ok cool thanks for the info. One more question if I may :) would it better to go with 2 3/4 inc and wrap it in a padding rather than a bare 3 inch PVC pipe?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am sure you could wrap it up with padding but I like the way it slides with the pvc. It seems to lay naturally in the channels of the PA. I would like to see yours when you get it finished.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My first trailer was done with 2" Schedule 40 PVC. We beveled the rear edge once we discovered it was scratching the boat as it fell off the rails. Part of the problem is the pipes spread, so I recommend drilling holes through the sides and running a 1/4" rope through it with knots on the ends to keep the pipes from spreading. Later on we covered the pipes with a short nap pile carpeting. It worked just fine either way. One of our ramps is very steep and the carpet kept the boats from sliding before we were ready for them to. The carpet gave it a better look, but wasn't any more functional. Others have used everything from 2" all the way up to 4", so the size is really determined by how much clearance you need. They all seem to work fine as bunks.

Finally Retired, Fish Beware!

2013 Hobie Pro Angler 14
2012 Hobie Pro Angler 12
2001 Hobie Hank Parker Edition Outback