Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Question
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello everyone,
I have been saving for sometime now, so I can purchase a roof rack and a pro angler 12. I have an appointment next week to have my roof rack installed. So, during this time of saving and waiting I have watched the you tube videos and read multiple threads on the angler.
I noticed some of you have a regular fish finder and some of you have opted for the more expensive fish finder /GPS unit. I have watched Jim Sammons on how to re-enter the surf. A lot of the time people are successful and stay up right on their re-entry but there are also the times when someone ends up flipping their kayak.
My question is how do you protect your fish finder when you re-enter the surf to land on the beach?

Post subject: Re: Question
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Practice surf launches and landings without a fish finder attached for starters. Most units can be disconnected and stored below deck somewhere. The PA 12 is not the most ideal kayak for the surf, but can be done...good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

When coming in through the surf, ALWAYS remove any gear that may be damaged/ruined because of a turtle in the surf. I always tie down my rods and put a plastic bag over the reels. It's amazing how fine the sand is in surf :twisted: :twisted:

When your kayak is rolling in the surf, most anything can be torn off your kayak. Also...... be sure to put a tether on your Mirage Drive. My friend searched for hours in the surf trying to locate his Mirage Drive... with no luck :oops:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a Lowrance FF/GPS on my PA, and everytime I make the trip to Florida, if I am going to launch through the surf, I take my unit off the base and stow it away somewhere safe. That is the only way to do it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:00 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I don't launch in the surf.... :mrgreen: