Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SeaDek Pricing Info
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have been in contact with Paige at SeaDek in reference to their kits for both my PA12 and PA14. This morning I received an email from Paige about the pricing on the PA12 version shown on SeaDek's website. For those of you that are still confused, the online pricing is for their stock kits that are precut on a single layer sheet of material and available in just the Army Camo or Storm Gray colors, no logos or graphics, with shipping priced separate depending on your location. My question for Paige was about whether a kit was available in a single piece around the Mirage Drive instead of the current 4 pieces, yet still in the single layer. Her answer was "..., we are in the process of developing the kit, it is also more expensive. The one piece will take more material, we broke down the front end to get a better sheet yield to keep the cost down for our customers. Also, the kit will include the rear deck compartment. This kit in single color will cost $250.00. The design still has about a week left, and then we have to send it out to our customer to verify everything fits correctly. We probably have about another 3-4 weeks before this kit will be ready to be ordered."

Please don't shoot the messenger. I personally can't see how they can price a PA12 kit, single layer sheet, with no graphics, at less than $50 under the price of a PA14 kit with underlay (two colors) and with graphics. All I can think is that the single sheet is much thicker, therefore much more expensive. If I get any more information regarding this, I will post it immediately.

Finally Retired, Fish Beware!

2013 Hobie Pro Angler 14
2012 Hobie Pro Angler 12
2001 Hobie Hank Parker Edition Outback

Post subject: Re: SeaDek Pricing Info
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

A single sheet is 5mm thick and a dual layer is two 3mm thick sheets. Same as you, this is what I THINK so don't shoot this messengrr either haha

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't think Paige will mind me quoting some of her initial communications with me. To answer the thickness questions.

"Our laminated sheet starts at 6mm (just a hair over ¼”) and maxes out at 20mm (‘bout .88 of an inch). As I stated, laminated sheets are only available for custom projects and are not sold as sheet goods to individuals. The logos you see on the picture you included are routed. The way SeaDek is designed is two sheets of foam are laminated together, they are then either Micro Dot Embossed for a grippy feeling or they are Sanded for a smooth texture, while still offering great nonskid features."

As stated by Fishwhisperer619, the online kits are a single layer 5mm size. Everything else is consider custom work. The minimum 2 - color layer is made up of two 3mm layers laminated together for a total thickness of 6mm. Hope this helps...

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Now that we have all that correlated and filed :lol: what I still don't understand is how a plain Jane, single layer of 5mm with no graphics can cost $250 for the PA12 complete kit, and the dual layer 6mm kit WITH graphics for the PA14 complete kit costs $290. I guess there is something I can't account for, but I, for one, have already opted to order the $110 kit in Army Camo for my PA12 and will decide later on what to do about the rear compartment. The plain Army Camo looks good by itself and I have decided to go cheap with it and do the full kit with graphics on my PA14, probably in Snow Camo.

Finally Retired, Fish Beware!

2013 Hobie Pro Angler 14
2012 Hobie Pro Angler 12
2001 Hobie Hank Parker Edition Outback

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'll throw my 2 cents in on this one. I have a Pro Angler 12 kit on order with the one piece front end in army camo over black base, using Steve's graphics. I will have the CAD files by the beginning of next week and an expedited manufacture shortly after. The price you were quoted seems to be in line with the price I am quoted. Obviously my kit with graphics is more. I can assume the cost of the 5mm SeaDek is substantially more than the 3mm. Everyone who owns a PA has already made a sizable investment, if you are not comfortable with the pricing, simply don't make the purchase. That's the beauty of an aftermarket piece.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

KJV wrote:
I'll throw my 2 cents in on this one. I have a Pro Angler 12 kit on order with the one piece front end in army camo over black base, using Steve's graphics. I will have the CAD files by the beginning of next week and an expedited manufacture shortly after. The price you were quoted seems to be in line with the price I am quoted. Obviously my kit with graphics is more. I can assume the cost of the 5mm SeaDek is substantially more than the 3mm. Everyone who owns a PA has already made a sizable investment, if you are not comfortable with the pricing, simply don't make the purchase. That's the beauty of an aftermarket piece.

An aftermarket piece that doesn't really have a competitor haha. Its not like we can go to another business and have them make it

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

fishwhisperer619 wrote:
KJV wrote:

An aftermarket piece that doesn't really have a competitor haha. Its not like we can go to another business and have them make it

Exactly...kinda like our Hobies :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Definitely post pictures of your PA12 with the single front piece after you complete the installation. I want to order that kit in the future when they get if finished and will do the snow camo or army camo over an olive, black, or camel base. Paige is really helpful and she will be the only person I communicate with if I can help it. She told me the price quotes were based only on the amount of material that it took to cover the surface area. Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

fishwhisperer619 wrote:

That's not exactly the case.. "OceanGrip" seems to offer the same types of services.

I don't know if this link will work for you, but it's from the "Hobie Kayak Fishing" Facebook group.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater

" it is 130 for one color. Mine is double layered camo over black which came up to 220. Adding a ruler was 30 bucks"