Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm sure this has been discussed but a search yielded no results.

This would only be for occasional use by my 100 lb. wife. Location, type of seat, etc.

Thoughts and links would be appreciated.
Steve

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I bought a 35 qt Yeti and my wife sits on top of it. Works great.
I have the Yeti strapped down behind my seat so its more stable.
When she wants to paddle for a while, we switch, a little sketchy but neither have fallen over (yet) and it works just fine.

I can do all things through Christ, who gives me strength Philippians 4:13

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Consider a "folding aluminum beach sand chair" that fits into the narrow part.....I think 22" wide is the limit.
Easy to secure in case of capsize and you should be able to find a nice chair for under $60 for your passenger. :idea:

I have used this for my 70# grand niece, fishing back of me and she loved it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Search YouTube.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Did not realize there were two threads on this one... Wonder how that happens...

Anyway...

I have a Jackson Elite seat that I strap to the pad eyes facing back, directly behind the Vantage seat. Your tiny wife would ride there like it was made for her. It is a VERY comfortable chair, not Vantage comfy, but not bad at all, but also not cheap either. It works great and back to back does not change the center of gravity much at all. Just about any low boy beach chair would work. You just have to make sure the feet distribute the weight over a large enough area that your not putting pressure on to small of a space.

If I didn't already have the Elite, I would have went with an easy to find substitute like the Larry Chair (cheaper) or the BassPro Ascend Deluxe Sit on Top kayak chair ($90). Both distribute the weight well, though the Ascend would be more comfortable for longer outings. They both sit low so as not to disturb the center of Gravity to much, but high enough to keep her bottom dry.

http://t.basspro.com/Ascend-Deluxe-Seat-for-FS12T-SitOnTop-Kayak/product/14081008121854/

Not sure what Hobie has to say about this. I do know that the PA14 has a sticker clearly stating that it is a one person craft up to 600 pounds. Not sure what the water patrol might say. I don't use it that often, and if I ever got pulled over, which has happened a few times in my Hobie, I would plead ignorance tempered with regret. I have found most fish and game/park rangers and police are pretty decent. Each time I have been pulled over (so to speak) there have been the perfunctory questions: fishing license, whistle, etc. But mostly it is because they want to chit chat about the Hobie. Actually the last time they came aside it was to give me a tee shirt congratulating me on wearing my PFD.

------------

I forgot that I also have an Ascend Deluxe Kayak Seat in my H12 guest kayak. It actually works pretty well as a second seat, and I like the way it distributes the weight better than my Jackson Elite seat. I put it in this morning before heading to the lake. Looks pretty good too.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100005695487937

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the replies. Stl kayak your setup is exactly what I am going to try. Looks great and very comfortable and the price is right. I just preordered the camo PA 14 so while my wife is deciding what she wants she can still ride along.

BTW what is your trailer setup Stl kayak?

Thanks to all for the replies.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

P7rancher wrote:
BTW what is your trailer setup Stl kayak?

P7 - the trailer question opens up another can of worms. I originally modified a Harbor Freight 1090lb trailer ($189) to carry my Jackson kayak, after I slid the jackson across the roof and down the hood during a rain storm. I did a lot of research - and watched a lot of YouTube videos - and came up with what I think is the perfect trailer for me. There are definitely better out of the box trailers if you have the cash. But mine was a Lot of fun to build and modify and dial in just right for me.

The HF required a tongue extension, PVC bunks, removing leaf springs, adding a modied truck ladder rack and cargo basket and kayak saddles for added support when trailering and storing. If I had it to do again, I would be able to save myself a lot of time and money. But the experience of building/modifying the trailer has been invaluable and I would do it again in a second.

Here are a couple of pictures of the final (for now) setup of the trailer. FYI: I added the cargo rack specifically to carry a future Outback or more than likely an Outfitter over my PA14. It is made to accept additional kayak cradles and works great now carrying my cheap Ascend H12.

This is my three kayak setup - I can actually carry four without trouble. Funny, but no one has ever come up to me and said, hey, nice Hyundai. But but everyone wants to talk about the Hobie!

This last one is the 'first iteration' in my trailer building saga.

Let me know if you want more information... Or post something specific. Few things stir up passions on the Hobie forum as much as trailering and transport of their awesome kayaks.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Stl Kayack nice looking setup.

Do you think the second seat could be rotated around and moved back so my wife could face forward?

I am looking at a hitch extension and the Boone Dox outfitter pickup bed rack. Just worried about lifting the PA 12 up on the bed rack and for that matter getting the PA 14 up on the hitch extension. We motor home and pull our pickup and would rather not triple tow with a trailer. I plan on adding the Boone Dox landing gear to both kayaks which should help with loading

Decisions decisions.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0926/ ... 1447873590

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

P7rancher wrote:
Thanks Stl Kayack nice looking setup.

Do you think the second seat could be rotated around and moved back so my wife could face forward?

Thanks for the compliment. As far as moving the seat around, yes, it fits at the back facing forward as easily as behind the seat, but at the cost of stability. It's kind of amazing how moving weight back towards the very end can change the feel of the kayak. You might find it perfectly acceptable. Just remember, with her sitting on the very back of the boat, if you turn hard to the left or right, you might just shoot her of the @$$ end of the boat!

I had never seen the Boonedox outfitter. That is a nice solution for the back of the truck. Definitely better than the hassel of an additional trailer. I have trailered a boat behind a fifth wheel camper before, and it is less than fun.

I personally love my trailer, and because it is so light, small and manuverable, can get it into some very tight areas, or close enough that I can carry the last few feet to the water. I don't even have a plug in cart for my Hobie, I have found that the majority of the water I fish in the middle of the country, I can get close enough that it is not needed.