Hobie Alter was a contemporary of mine and his innovations enhanced my life every step of the way. Over the course of his life I have owned:
- Hobie skateboards that were the height of SoCal chic
- Hobie surfboards, including a Phil Edwards model I still use,
- Hobie Cats, 14' and 16' that we raced with fierce intensity
- Hobie Hawk RC Gliders that flew like eagles
- Hobie Power Skiff, that had the highest fun to cost ratio of any power boat Ive owned
- Hobie Pro Angler 14: the most highly advanced fishing machine on Earth!
Rest in peace. Have to love innovative people with forward thinking designs and ideas. When I show people my ProAngler14. They are amazed at the versatility, designs implemented for outfitting gear and accessories. A man who gave the world an outstanding product.
To be clear and if someone thinks we have lost our innovation now...
Hobie Alter sold his interest in the Hobie Cat Company in the 70's when the company went public and then sold to Coleman. Hobie was involved with product design for Hobie Cat into the 80's while the company was owned by Coleman and then Tony Wilson. The current ownership came on in the early 90's and with them the kayaks were born. Greg Ketterman designed the MirageDrive and a team of Hobie Cat staff and designers design the boats and accessories.
RIP Hobie L. Alter. You made my life, as it is, possible. I bought a Hobie 16 in 1976 and have been hooked ever since. You will never be forgotten.