Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The first time I put this thing (PA 12) in the water I saw a gigantic redfish following my topwater just as it got to the boat. He immediately swam off and I cursed.

The past three trips, in the same area, I've done the same thing - peddled over to the general area,sat for a bit, fan casted to cover the area around me, and stood up. EVERY time, as soon as I stand, I see redfish (some big, some 'regular) they see me and they all leave.

I am assuming the best method going forward is to be standing before I get there. and I'm guessing that means a push pole. I've never used one and am wondering how I would hold any kind of position, since I'd be, in effect, a sail in the wind.

So, for you flats guys and push pole dudes, hook a brother up. What do I use for a pole? How long should it be? How do you pole around then, when seeing a fish, cast (since you have a giant push pole in your hand that you just can't drop)? Do you use something as an anchor when doing this, or just drift around?

Thanks for any tips.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I had the same type of problem fishing from my PA14 around Panama City Beach. I finally just decided to stay seated, and work the reeds with my top water like I do for bass here in KY. It worked like a charm.

With the "vantage" seat in that PA12, you should be sitting up quite a bit higher than I am in the old PA seat style. You should be able to see a lot more than I could.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:09 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

tie some shrubbery on your hat... laugh if you want... but my uncle used to cut a shrub and haul it down to the pond with him... would hide behind it and fish around it... killed fish...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

wear sky blue clothing, go under water and look up , that's the color you should be wearing if you want to be a little stealthy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm also curious to see what push pole guys out there are using. Native used to make a paddlle/push pole but they wanted $280 for it! Considering I think their accessories are of poor quality, I'll be staying away from it.

Anyone try the telescoping SuperStick? Looks like it be pretty good and the 12' length appeals to me for polling off of my 'Vantage Casting Platform'. I recently made a trip to the flats in Flamingo, FL and I want to be able sight fish sooner. BTW, this works great, I just need a good push pole now.

Dave

Hobie Pro Angler 12 (awesome)
Native Mariner 12.5 (sucks)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I think the use-a-push-pole idea is great and all, but I have a question : what do you do with it when you see a fish?
Can't just drop it - may not see it again and might bang on the boat. If you stop to set it down you're making lots of motion and may not even keep the fish in sight while screwing around with it.
So what do y'all do?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I fish more freshwater than saltwater, but if I was using my SOP as a push pole in shallow water looking for reds in the grass, etc., I would flip the pole around to the pointed end and just plant it in the bottom and then cast for the fish. You can always retrieve the SOP, especially since you are in shallow water.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

You can do what steve said or for the longer push poles people wear a clip on their belt that the pole clips too. It's kind of like those 'taco' clips that people use to hold their kayak paddle while they're fishing.

Hobie Pro Angler 12 (awesome)
Native Mariner 12.5 (sucks)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I usually hold the pushpole under my arm. I also found that when I was poling along and I would see a fish, when I would go to pick up my rod the fish would tend to spook. So I used a wadefishing belt with a rod holder so that the rod was quick and easy to grab. Just something to make it easier.