Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have been fishing a LOT...10 times a week...been going out in the morning and after work most days. Life does not suck! That being said, the bungee system on the Tacle Bin keeps breaking free and the bungees on both the Tackle Bin and Rod holder have lost a lot of their spring.

Anyone know if this is a warranty item or the part number to get replacement bungees? I bought the tackle bin the same time I purchased my PA14, back in April.

Also the pins that attach the Rod Holder to the H-Rail mount, as well as a 1" ball mount keep sliding out. Almost lost the one holding the 1" ball to the H-Rail mount. I thought about glueing them in place, but all I could come up with was Super Glue, and cyanoacrylate glues do not weather well. Anyone else experiencing this and what did you do to resolve?

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100005695487937

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

STL,

I don't use my tackle bin enough to speak to the bungee coming loose. Once I get my H-Rail system behind the seat built, I will probably carry the tackle bin all the time. Waiting on the H-Rail parts to come in.

I've never had one of those pins in an H-Rail mount come out. I did have one of the H-Rail Adapter plates get bent slightly where I had my anchor rope around the rod base as an anchor while under a bridge in a bad storm. The pin bent inside. I had to hammer the assembly back with a rubber mallet so it would not bind on the H-Rail. Other than that all my H-Rail accessories have held up fine.

Steve

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:18 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have multiple H rail mounts that have the loose pins. I almost lost the pin to my rodholder last time I was out. I was thinking about using some type of glue as well. Will wait to see what others recommend.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

STLKayak wrote:
I have been fishing a LOT...10 times a week...been going out in the morning and after work most days. Life does not suck! That being said, the bungee system on the Tacle Bin keeps breaking free and the bungees on both the Tackle Bin and Rod holder have lost a lot of their spring.

Anyone know if this is a warranty item or the part number to get replacement bungees? I bought the tackle bin the same time I purchased my PA14, back in April.

Also the pins that attach the Rod Holder to the H-Rail mount, as well as a 1" ball mount keep sliding out. Almost lost the one holding the 1" ball to the H-Rail mount. I thought about glueing them in place, but all I could come up with was Super Glue, and cyanoacrylate glues do not weather well. Anyone else experiencing this and what did you do to resolve?

There is currently no part number for replacement bungees available for this part, but we are looking at ways to prevent the bungees from losing their stretch over time, or pulling through.

As for the pin that attaches the Rod Holder to the H-Rail clamp - We've made a modification to this part that prevents the pin from wiggling loose. If you want to get on the water today, here's ne solution you might try: Put the pin in the complete assembly, insert the pointed end of a nail (slightly larger than the diameter of the pin) into both sides of the pin, with one nail head against the ground and the other nail head facing the sky, tap the nail with a hammer a couple times and then remove both nails. This will cause the ends of the pin to flair out and hold nicely. If you want us to send you a new part, we can do that. Just send me a direct message with your shipping address, and we'll take care of you.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Howie

Thanks for the support. I was going to try using an ice pick to flair the pin out...a couple of nails seams easier...plus I don't have an ice pick! I am betting that will work. Will probably add a little epoxy - maybe JB Weld - to seal the deal. I doubt replacement will be necessary, but thanks for the offer, will keep that in my back pocket.

As far as the Bungee goes, not sure how you are going to make bungee that does not wear out. It is just the nature of bungee, after time, with weathering and use, it stops bungeeing (or more scientifically, looses elasticity). Was just hoping you had some replacement pieces in stock. I think that a small washer could help alleviate the issue of it pulling thru. If you come up with a better bungee, or a replacement part, please share!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I used Howie's small nail and hammer technique to flair the ends of the pins that secure the different head end mounts on my H-Rail accessories. I also added a bit of clear silicone glue on each side of the pin. Time will tell if this holds up, but I am pretty confident this little minor issue is now fixed.

One other issue I fixed was to the H-Rail Tackle Bin. The bungees kept pulling lose as they were only secured with a single knot. I re-ran the bungee and just added an SS washer in front of the knots. Seems to work well, and again, I think this issue would be considered fixed.

The only other think I want to find out, is if I can get a part number, so that I can get (warranty or just purchase) some replacement bungee, for the rod holders and tackle bin.