Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello - my first post although I've been visiting and learning from all of you for almost a year now. Bought my 2013 PA14 in July of last year from a local dealer in the Ft. Myers, FL area. I love the boat but still on a steep learning curve as far as fishing technique, especially around the mangroves in Estero bay. Can't tell you how many rigs I've lost by erant casts...

Anyway, last week I had just ventured out from the canal I live on on Fort Myers Beach and was in a relatively shallow 3-4 feet flat in Estero Bay. As I pulled my rod out to start fishing I realized that one of the front feet of my vantage seat was not properly seated in the foot cup, but instead was resting on top of it. Bummer. :o So I got on my knees to try to unlatch the seat and reset it properly and, of course, my big butt caused the center of gravity to be greatly raised and when the boat started leaning slightly, I quickly found myself in the water and swimming after my boat which was moving along with the incoming tidal current. The boat did not flip, and I was able to climb back on over the rear of the boat without much trouble, but I was a bit flustered and decided to continue on without fixing the problem with the seat. That turned out to be a mistake, as the front seat foot shifted a little while later and I found the whole boat listing badly to that side. I quickly got off the seat and onto the floor of the boat , and then moved the seat to the low position (it had been in the raised position) and this seemed to remedy the immediate problem and I continued to fish for a while before heading back in. All in all everything went smoothly after that shift, but I couldn't really relax and enjoy myself.

So two questions:

1. When I fell off the boat, I had to swim pretty hard to catch up to it and the current wasn't really that bad. It made me realize that a stronger current could leave me without a boat in the same circumstance. Do people use a leash or something to avoid this problem?

2. Any thoughts on how to safely deal with the seat issue once on the water? Of course, I'll certainly be more careful about placing the seat properly in the first place, but any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,

Beth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Rule #1: always wear your PFD. If you do lose contact with your boat, you won't be treading water until rescued. Certainly this can happen to anyone, so extra caution and care will prevent it. However, if you do find your boat needs some type of repair on the water, I would pedal to the nearest shallow water, anchor, and then do the repair, or get out of the boat first. Assuming you have the seat attached by the short bungi, you will have to release that first, so the danger of this entire operation multiplies. I wouldn't attempt this fix in open water.

There are two kinds of kayakers...those that have fallen out of their boat, and those that will. Congratulations on joining the former group! :lol:

Finally Retired, Fish Beware!

2013 Hobie Pro Angler 14
2012 Hobie Pro Angler 12
2001 Hobie Hank Parker Edition Outback

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

FMB:
Sorry for your mishap. No one plans to have an accident, but caution to what CAN happen can go a long way to being safe on the water. Always think "Safety first".

As far as leashing myself to my boat is concerned, I have to say that I don't. But when I'm moving from the seat to the rear or the front to get something or to rearrange something, I always either stake out the boat with my push pole or drop an anchor if the water is moving or if there is any kind of wind. That comes from an experience of years ago when I was duck hunting, and putting out decoys. I had wadders on and had gotten out of the boat in shallow water, and turned my back for what I thought was a second when my pirogue drifted away in an off shore breeze. I had to wait for my buddy to come and rescue me and get my boat back. The temperature that day was in the low 30's and I didn't want to go swimming for it. Luckily I was able to walk to shore and wait for help. Embarrasing to say the least.

Since I started fishing from a kayak I often thought of leashing myself to the boat in case of falling over like you did, but I found that anchoring the boat one way or the other would accomplish the same thing as a leash. But I would probably tie the boat to my life jacket or waist if in extremely deep water and I couldn't anchor. But only if I was doing something that required me to get out of the seat.

Don't have any suggestions for you on the seat set up, excep make sure it's installed correctly before you leave the launch.

Hope this helps. And keep fishing, it's a great and relaxing sport when everything goes well

Heroes don't wear capes; they wear dog tags

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks - I was wearing my pfd but I am often tempted not to because of the warm water here and shallow bay I fish in. This incident was a great reminder to me to wear the darned thing! I need to purchase a pfd that is more comfortable/doesn't ride up my back so that I'm not tempted any more!

The point about anchoring is very helpful. It didn't even occur to me that I should do that. I use an 8.5 foot stake-out pole and anchor trolley, so this would also force me to find a shallow place to do what I need to do. All good in case I go overboard again....

Thanks again,
Beth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Beth:
I don't own a sporting goods store, so what I'm about to tell you is not for my gain, just an idea that you might be interested in.
You mentioned that you're looking for a PFD that won't ride up your back. Have you ever thought of getting a type III inflatable. Just today, I received
in the mail a sale catalog from West Marine, and they offer one for 79.99 that's an inshore, both automatic and manual operation (if you fall overboard
the auto feature activates the cylinder that inflates it). I have the same one myself and bought it last year when WM put on the same sale. I'm not a hugh fan of West Marine because I find their prices very high compared to other outlets in my area. But I haven't found a type III in that price range anywhere else either. And when I use mine during the summer I forget it's on. Sale is good April 10-20 if there is a store in your area.
Hope this helps.

Heroes don't wear capes; they wear dog tags

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Beth......One issue with the inflatable PFD's is it can be difficult to re-enter your kayak when it's inflated....less of a problem with the PA by re-entering over the stern, but something to consider.
I don't know what brand PFD you currently use, but I have a NRS Fisherman PFD that does not "ride up".....I would think most of the "fisherman's" models have a higher back flotation location that helps.....the Hobie High Back Mesh PFD would be worthy of consideration too. http://www.kayakshed.com/hobie-kayak-ge ... k-mesh-pfd

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Beth...I feel sorta stupid about not considering your gender and my earlier PFD suggestion......Hobie does market a "Women's Hi-Back" PFD that should not ride up and is contoured to fit a female.
The part number for powdered blue color is S6146xx and the mango color is S6147xx.
The "xx" designation = size....your Hobie dealer can help on sizing....list cost is $90.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just as a FYI, the inflatable PFD's are not recommended for weak or non-swimmers. I found this out AFTER I bought an expensive inflatable PFD and saw on the directions included with it about weak or non-swimmers. Since I had already activated the PFD with the CO2 cartridge I could not return it.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 5:30 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I haven't been back out on the PA because I managed to fracture a bone in my shoulder. Awesome. But I did score a very nice kayak fishing life vest the other day in, of all places, TJ Maxx. Weird place to find one, but there it was with the high back pad, a chest lure tray and lots of other nice zippered pockets, etc. I'm planning on getting out again in the next few days now that the shoulder is feeling a little better. It helps that I'll be pedalling rather than paddling!

I was fishing in the surf a couple days ago in the Gulf and there were some huge tarpon rolling just off shore - I'm new to Florida and this was my first up close view of those monsters. Can't even imagine what it would be like to hook one from the PA! :shock:

Thanks for all the advice here - much appreciated.

Beth

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 12:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

FMBFishin wrote:
I haven't been back out on the PA because I managed to fracture a bone in my shoulder. Awesome. But I did score a very nice kayak fishing life vest the other day in, of all places, TJ Maxx. Weird place to find one, but there it was with the high back pad, a chest lure tray and lots of other nice zippered pockets, etc. I'm planning on getting out again in the next few days now that the shoulder is feeling a little better. It helps that I'll be pedalling rather than paddling!

I was fishing in the surf a couple days ago in the Gulf and there were some huge tarpon rolling just off shore - I'm new to Florida and this was my first up close view of those monsters. Can't even imagine what it would be like to hook one from the PA! :shock:

Thanks for all the advice here - much appreciated.

Beth

Remember that larger sharks will attach a tarpon when on a fishing line!!! So be careful out there!!! Good Luck