Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Power Pole Micro anchor
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 7:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Considering one for my PA14. I will be using in both salt and fresh water. I hate to go out and spend that kind of money without being totally convinced.

Any feedback from folks who are using them would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 8:28 am 
Hobie Team Member

I have a buddy who has one and he LOVES it.
(Note: He fishes shallow waters almost exclusively.)
Come visit us at www.bckfc.org and send a message to "tefishmaster". I'm sure he'll be happy to tell you thoughts.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 12:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I saw the Power Pole, for the first time, at the PaddleSport 2014 in NJ. My first thought involved this anchor system getting tangled in tree limbs. This thought occurred because I mostly bass fish and, while fishing, continually forget the one or two rods in the rod holders. Thus, that rod or rods get tangled in tree limbs when I'm retrieving a lure or getting close to shore to parallel cast the shore-line. I feel the same tangling could happen with the Power Pole. I love the concept, but will wait and see the reviews of how users of this anchor system detail their experiences before I commit.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you fish the flats on salt and want to anchor with pole and get out to wade fish then I would also anchor with traditional anchor and line. If a power boat come by and leave a very large wave (say three feet) the yak will rise at lease three feet up and then the pole will not be anchored and start to drift and drag. This might cause damage to the yak. Not sure after reading this description it makes any sense..But I am sure the anchor will not hold if a wave comes by and lifts the anchor out of the mud/sand/ bottom of the flats..

Hope this is worth thinking about.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 3:41 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thinwater skinner wrote:
If you fish the flats on salt and want to anchor with pole and get out to wade fish then I would also anchor with traditional anchor and line. If a power boat come by and leave a very large wave (say three feet) the yak will rise at lease three feet up and then the pole will not be anchored and start to drift and drag. This might cause damage to the yak. Not sure after reading this description it makes any sense..But I am sure the anchor will not hold if a wave comes by and lifts the anchor out of the mud/sand/ bottom of the flats..

From Power-Pole-

"Wave Mode
In addition to Anchoring Force control, your MICRO Driver Unit can be put into Wave Mode.
While the spike is at the bottom position, press the DOWN button on either remote control to
enter Wave Mode. In Wave Mode the MICRO Driver Unit will continue to absorb waves and
re-drive the spike up to 20 times. If further wave absorption is required, press the DOWN button
again to reactivate Wave Mode."

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 8:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Lt.FireDog wrote:
Thinwater skinner wrote:

From Power-Pole-

"Wave Mode
In addition to Anchoring Force control, your MICRO Driver Unit can be put into Wave Mode.
While the spike is at the bottom position, press the DOWN button on either remote control to
enter Wave Mode. In Wave Mode the MICRO Driver Unit will continue to absorb waves and
re-drive the spike up to 20 times. If further wave absorption is required, press the DOWN button
again to reactivate Wave Mode."

Dang, I don't understand how it works, but thanks for letting me know about wave mode... I guess see is believing? Thanks for the info.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 4:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Would guess that the Wave mode working would depend a bunch on how big the wave is........

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Great item and works great. I fish mainly salt and find myself fishing drains on an outgoing tide often. In this situation any rear anchor is useless. Regardless of the wind, I want my bow into the current. The anchor trolley still seems the best all around system to me.

Finally Retired, Fish Beware!

2013 Hobie Pro Angler 14
2012 Hobie Pro Angler 12
2001 Hobie Hank Parker Edition Outback