Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 7:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This will be my second attempt at landing a bonefish but was hoping to reach out to those who have already succeeded. Does anyone know of spots to launch from on the Atlantic Ocean side.

Thanks in advance

2012 Hobie Pro Angler
Ivory Dune

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 4:52 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

This area is worked all the time, and Bonefish are pretty damn smart, so getting a "Grey Ghost" takes work & knowledge. I haven't hooked on my own (I've seen a bunch :D ), and only twice with a guide about four years ago....so Good Luck.

Annes Beach, MM 73.8, south end of Lower Matecumbe Key, just north of Bridge 5 & Caloosa Cove Marina.

http://360floridakeys.com/ft-zach/islam ... -90/mm-73/

Sea Oats Beach, MM 74

http://360floridakeys.com/ft-zach/islam ... -90/mm-74/

From there, you can use the bayside public launch north of Robbies and take the channel to the ocean and work the flats that are on each side of channel.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, there are area's south of Bud & Mary's on oceanside where you should have access to the ocean.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 5:51 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Wow, thank you. I got skunk'd last year but my goal is to get a bone this time. I will definately check these out!

Thanks again

2012 Hobie Pro Angler
Ivory Dune

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 6:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mhamaker :
Last year we spent a week at Fiesta Key (just south of lower Matecumbe key (around mm71)), they have both campsites and cabins, and you can leave your boat for the week in the water tied to mooring balls (they also have full boat docks for power boaters). I understand they are under new ownership, so check them out first before committing to anything.
Here is our TI on the mooring ball for the week
You can cross to the Atlantic side under the nearby bridge if needed. There appear to be lots of flats and trenches in the area.
We don't fish at all, but we do dive and spear fish, so we are all after the same stuff.
If your down there make sure to stop at Robbies and get the Lobster Bisque. (you can probably launch from there also).
That area is very large, we had no problems covering 15-20 miles with our TI (with the motor and massive sails), and the TI is more equipped for open rough water, so be careful out there with a PA.
Bob

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 7:20 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Very cool. Thanks

2012 Hobie Pro Angler
Ivory Dune