Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Another newbie tomorrow
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Gentlemen,
Tomorrow, I will be purchasing a PA12. ... My first yak. I currently have a Sea Eagle FPB 285 inflatable with a Torqeedo 1003 outboard. I live in Hillsborough, NJ and do a great deal of fishing in Round Valley, Spruce Run and Merrill Creek. The sea eagle is great but I need more room. I'm buying my 12 from Bob's Canoes & Kayaks (Sunset Sailboats) in Lake Hopatcong, NJ. I guess I'll have to fish that lake too!
I've been toying with the idea of a PA12 for a couple of years and am making it happen. I'm retired and today I read every post in the first 10 pages of this PA forum!! Yeah, that's a lot of reading along with the hours of YouTube over the last few months..... The information from both sources is incredible and valuable and having a Hobie rep lurking in the background in the forum shows Hobie's firm interest in quality customer service.
Anyway, I have no questions...... Yet, but if I do, I'm confident that this forum is the place to be.
I'll be getting the H- bar, anchor trolley, and maybe the Live Well with the purchase. I have a Lowrance Elite 5 DSI, and two adjustable Scotty rod holders to transfer/mount from my Sea Eagle, so that should keep me busy for a few minutes. But I just noticed it's after 1 AM..... I've got a big day tomorrow.... G'nite for now, and thanks for the great info. :D

"A wet bird never flies at night"

Last edited by NINCO1 on Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:30 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Welcome and make sure to post a picture with your first catch!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Welcome to the PA family and the addiction! :D You'll have to post back on how your first few fishing trips go. Congratulations on the purchase.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you guys,

Today was the first "big" trip out... Temp in the 90's at Round Valley in NJ... Spent about 7 hours just enjoying the PA12 and making adjustments and realizing that 3.2 - 3.5 mph is pretty much standard with relaxed, no effort peddling. The LiveWell works as advertised and there H-bar simplified getting in/out from the dock.... Feet stayed dry the whole time. I still haven't figured out "what I should put where", between the mesh "tool holders" and the "Tackle Webs" that I got for the sides of the seat....lots of handy storage.
The Lowrance Elite 5 DSI is on a RAM mount and one Scotty rod holder on deck mounts on each mounting board. The 12V gel cell for the Lowrance is in the rear hatch. I mounted small, individual Red/Green LED strips for Nav lights, and a yellow LED "bug" light just to the left of the sail post "hole". And a white LED strip under each mounting board. The light switches are next to the left 2 rod holder assembly. I'm using a separate gel cell Battery for the lights. The battery is industrial (water resistant) Velcro'd to the floor of the hull up against the sail post. I have the Hobie VisiCarbon light/flag at the stern mounted on a single mighty mount between the steering cover plate and the Hobie logo. This location doesn't interfere with fishing and keeps the in-hull rod holders free. Used the Hobie Anchor Trolley 3 times; it really simplifies the job! The Heavy Duty cart was the right choice for the "dirt ramp" at Round Valley, and some of the other nearby lakes.
The Rhino-Rack Side Loader (RUSL) is great. People could not believe how the PA got up/down from the roof rack on the Nissan Murano so easy. Two separate times, (while I was tying her down) I had to show people (who had traditional kayaks) the Rhino Rack and how it mounts, etc.
Oh, I almost forgot... I only brought one rod with me today and I was one of many who did not catch a thing. Round Valley is a Trophy Trout lake and this has been a tough year for fishing..... but that's another story!
All in all, it was a great day; I put in more miles than I thought I would and literally didn't want to come in... but I was in need of a "little boys room" and I due to the heat I knew a large vanilla milk shake would go down well on the ride home. And it did!!!

"A wet bird never flies at night"