Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 6:46 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm a "worst case scenario" kind of guy, so I always have my Hobie paddle on board as a back-up to the Mirage Drive, but after demo'ing a SUP paddle for the last two months (& loved it!), I found that having two paddles onboard was a PITA, so I came up with this......

I asked my local shop (South River Outfitters, Stuart) if they had any broken fiberglass paddles lying around (of course they did, they also rent kayaks), I ended up with a AquaBound fiberglass "male" ferrule end with reminates of the snapped off paddle blade still in the shaft.
With a section of PVC, I was able to pound out the paddle reminants, then used a "rat tail" file to remove roughness created by remaining glue. All that was left was to fit and drill a mount hole for the Hobie "T-handle".

All in all, it came out nice and allows me to have a SUP paddle & a back-up paddle without having one of each on board.

BTW- other section of Hobie paddle is carried in PA's tankwell.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 3:51 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Has anybody else done this, or our you using a SUP paddle?

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 4:51 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have used a Werner Fiji SUP adjustable paddle with great results...I liked the way it moved the PA along - also the bent face of the SUP paddle felt like it made positive contact with more water during the paddle stroke, as opposed to using the standard paddle blade from a standing position.

Definitely a good investment for those who like to stand and fish for long periods... :D

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 5:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Adjustable SUP for me. A standard Hobie paddle is pretty useless on the PA anyway, since it's not terribly strong and not quite long enough to deal with the hull width and high seating position of a PA.

Plus I stand to fish often and the SUP allows reasonable traction and control from that position.

Cheers,
Graeme

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 3:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have ordered an accent paddles Transformer. It is a combo Kayak, sup, and push pole. It will cover everything I try to use my hobie paddle for.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 10:13 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Awesome idea!

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 6:28 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Had a chance to try the DIY/SUP yesterday on the Sailfish Flats of the Indian River/Stuart....worked great, perfect length and seems to have a pretty good "bite" considering it's nothing like a true SUP blade.

I was dealing with 10-15 mph winds and I was putting some "ass" into the paddle and it seemed to be pretty solid with a small amount of flex.

Getting really comfortable transitioning from paddle to rod by doing an easy crouch to slide blade under front hatch bungee and grabbing rod that is resting on vantage seat, between my legs (tip just past front handle).

So far, so good..... :D

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 5:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

For ocean fishing, especially coming back in stronger surf conditions, double ended paddle is a must methinks. Gives you about twice the control of a single blade paddle.
Stock Hobie paddle never let me down. Light and strong, grips water nicely. I fold it when on the water and stow it away.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 1:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Greg, now that i am back in a PA i will likely ditch the AuqaBound paddle i had been using and go back to my Sawyer Trident

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 11:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have the redneck version. Half Hobie paddle mixed with some PVC for added length and the hobie T handle attached to the PVC. A little black duct tape to hold together. Other half of Hobie paddle in tank well duct taped to the rod tubes just in case. I stand and fish a lot lately pitching shoreline reeds for bass.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 3:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Firedawg,

Just picked up my PA14 today from Ed @ SouthRiver.

New to Palm City and would like to hook up and go out sometime.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:07 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Beware the Hobie paddle for any long term use!! I had a fin mast fail on my Mirage Drive two weeks ago while fishing the California Delta. I was about three miles from the launch fishing an outgoing tide in 25-30mph winds! I had my Hobie paddle set up with the "T" handle and started slowly making my way home against the wind and tide. It took me over two hours to get within site of the launch ramp. With just 300yds to go I was midstroke with the paddle when suddenly there was no resistance. I watched in horror as the paddle blade, which had pulled out of the shaft, sank to the bottom of the Delta in 30ft of water! The adhesive apparently let go due to the strain over the long duration of that paddle trip!!

I did make it back home safely thanks to a Dobyns 806 Heavy Swim Bait rod that acted as enough of a paddle to get me to the nearest levee where I was able to walk my PA14 that last 300yds to the launch ramp.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Nice engineering. I was just thinking about how to extend my existing paddle. This will be nice for fishing puppy drum in the tidal marshes.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have a Bending Branches paddle that I have used for years. When I got the PA I immediately replaced the Hobie paddle with the BB paddle. I recently called them and they made me an similar extension from the same carbon fiber used in the BB paddle. I did use the Hobie T handle. Seems to work great!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Do you guys think I could use a PVC insert (even if it's more rigid schedule 80) with a PVC T on the end with the stock Hobie paddle for a makeshift SUP Paddle? It wouldn't cost much to do and I could easily carry the other end of the Hobie paddle Just In Case.......