Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Will fishing with a freshwater trolling motor for a few days in freshwater area that has salt content ruin the motor? Lots of lakes in Florida have salt content, hoping someone there or that has fished there might see this....

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Eventually, saltwater will ruin anything. The best you can do is thoroughly rinse the motor in Fresh water as soon as you return from each trip. Don't wait until the next day to do it - do it as soon as you return home.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've heard of and seen people using Minnkota enduro fresh water motors in salt water, I was told by someone that the big difference between the salt water versions is on the salt water versions the pc boards are all coated with an extra coating, and all the connectors are upgraded. Plus I think they use a better paint and a zinc anode is added on the salt water versions. If I were to do that I would likely clear coat all the electronics boards and connections before trying it in salt water. Then I would be sure to rinse everything off with fresh water after use. Then spray down with wd40. On my Honda gas motors I spray everything down with wd40 after rinsing, it seams to help.
Running in salt water will cut the life of the unit in half, even with all the above precautions. The salt water is so harsh, even a salt water version only lasts a few seasons anyway, I'm just guessing here but you can probably get 1 maybe two seasons out of an enduro in salt water. Considering they are as low as $90 bucks, you can consider it disposable, and just replace it when it dies, you can likely buy 3 motors for the cost of a salt water version, so you might be money ahead buying the cheaper motors, then throw them away after one or two seasons.
I wouldn't buy anything bigger than a 30 lb enduro, your just wasting your money buying a 55 lb. for a kayak or adventure (IMO).
As for battery's I would buy a larger 55ah battery or larger, then buy one of those lithium 400 ah booster packs (they are very small and inexpensive (1x3x6) then rig it to trickle charge the big battery). By managing your power, you might be able to go all day using the big batteries power moderately, then let it recover (with the trickle charger), then use it some more (pedaling during the rest periods). If you pedal 100 percent of the time lightly, it's good exercise, and will extend your range tremendously. Think of your trolling motor as auxillary suplimental propulsion. Adding a sail kit and using all forms of propulsion at the same time when you can give you the best of all worlds. You will be totally amazed at the speeds and range you can achieve using the boats tri-power capabilities (that's what I do).
Hope this helps

Bob