Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Secure Kayak Tie Downs?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hello!

Would anyone see a problem with somehow permanently attaching the tie down straps on a trailer? I know it's all of 5 minutes to deal with them but I thought maybe if they were tied, stapled, nailed or glued down I could leave them on the trailer (without someone walking off with them) instead of taking them off, putting them in the truck, dragging them out, untangling them :) making sure they are all nice and flat and there's no twists and setting them up...

I have two 6" or 8" wide wood beams that hold up the two long pvc pipes the kayak sits on. I usually wrap one end down, around the wood, up again, across the kayak down and around the other side and back up to cinch up at the front and the back (probably pretty standard set-up and no one needed this description!).

I can't see why not but it is a safetly feature so I don't want to be short sighted about it... Any input would be appreciated. I'm thinking these things are just holding down the kayak. I have a boat safety belt at the front, attached to the handle, that's the important one so the kayak doesn't go flying. The ones at the back just hold it down and keep it from wiggling around.

At the worst, maybe someone could share any tie downs they like or configuration they've come up with...? It's a pretty basic system and I just went with what the store sold me right then and there to get my PA home. I've googled it a bit but that usually brings up regular kayaks on top of cars, people who don't have the luxury of trailering their kayaks :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:17 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I use a rope secured to trailer frame (stays there). Kayaks sit on 3" PVC bunks.
Rope goes over kayak then secured to trailer frame using a truckers hitch. Once unloaded I just loop the rope then lightly tie to frame next to permanent location. No hassle of removing and storing straps.
Like you I have front of kayaks secured using winch strap.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:15 am 
Hobie Team Member

+1 on MooreFun's post. Trucker's hitch = a knot everyone should know. Works great.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I use these on my boat's transom, wonder if they would be long enough for a yak trailer?
http://www.basspro.com/Bow-TieDown-Syst ... uct/52349/

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The only drawback I could see would be that nylon straps exposed to the elements 24/7 will deteriorate quicker and lose their strength. They tend to get UV rot.

2009 Revo
2012 Outback
2010 Tarpon 100

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Guys!

Atavusso, I was just coming to log on to say I just saw those retractable ties and thought they would do the trick nicely if they work as easily they say and hold - I'm going to look for some videos on them later. They're a bit expensive (I like the rope ideas too, would not have thought of just rope - that makes me the perfect person to sell something to) but I do like how convenient these retractable straps seem to be.

And rot is a good thing to think of, I have my hobie covered when it's not in use and I let out slack before covering it up but I'll definitely look to make sure there are no sharp edges for the strapping to rub against... When looking I saw something they called D rings which look like rings that will fold down when not in use or flat enough I wouldn't catch against it. They'd keep the strap flat so I wouldn't have to wrap anything around the wood like I was first thinking...

Thanks for the replies!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The transom tie downs work great on my boat, really pleased with them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk