Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Forum members - looking for some tips/tricks for those of you who are accustomed to launching from a beach. Taking the PA14 off the beach for the first time to try and get some tarpon. We'll be launching from the E Coast of Florida. Thanks for any best practices.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Practice. Leave your fishing gear at home. Getting out is easy.......getting back is the trick. Practice until you feel comfortable. Go on days with different surf condition. Take a buddy with you to help is needed. Good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Getting out isn't horrible- coming back in is the tough part... As others say, if it is your first few times- go as light as possible.

- If I go out in the ocean, I ONLY take two piece poles so that I can disassemble them and strap them in the cargo well. (I fish out of the Outback and Adventure)

Even a little 1 ft wave can toss and flip you right at the end when you least expect it... trust me.....

If I have someone on the beach- I attach a rope to the bow and toss it to my buddy. I hop out and have him run the kayak in.

By myself, (all depends on conditions) I usually attach a rope (I use about 30ft), hop out before the breakers, leave the kayak holding the rope- wait for a break and run like mad up the shore :)

Good luck

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:05 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Launching is relatively easy - point the bow into the waves and pedal over the wave...don't stop pedaling until you are past the breakers.

Coming back in...I won't lie - it can be intimidating. I would suggest some practice runs in an empty kayak.

I like to land my Pro Angler backwards. I approach the breakers, watching the sets - trying to time them to see if there is a lull. Then I come in at at angle during the lull, and when the next set comes in, I turn the bow into the waves, using the Mirage Drive to power over the waves. When the set passes, I paddle the PA in backwards until I'm in shallow water (1.5-2') - then I jump out and grab the bow handle, and walk it the rest of the way in.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks everyone! No dunkage on our first time out :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:11 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I leave my rudder down and use it to steer when returning to beach. If its really bad you point bow into waves and let them push you to beach. If you can get it off the beach getting back should be no problem. On bad days check front hatch and hull for water have filled storage bin or gotten as much as 10 gallons of water in hull. All I do is offshore fish South Florida allmost every weekend as long as the wind is bow 20 mph. Dont reccomend going offshore above that.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2