Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Looking at getting a Pro Angler 14, searched the forum, but with the options for roof racks always changing and folks coming up with new options, figured I'd post to get the latest. Can I roof carry the PA14 on the 4Runner....I believe so it's 138lbs. and as I understand the OEM bars are rated for 150. If this is the case, what options have you guys used, Thule Slipstream? Yakima Showboat? Other? I saw some homemade options to avoid the rear spoiler and shark fin, but would like something to avoid as much effort as possible as I would need to load and unload outside each time prior to entering garage. Trailer isn't an option for me unfortunately.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I know that you said a trailer is not an option, but here are my two cents.

I cartop my PA on a Nissan Altima and it's a chore. You have a four runner and for the price of a roof rack ( I spent over $800 on mine including Thule bases, aerobars, Yakima saddles (2 pair), and a Yakima Showboat), you can get a trailer and do some mods. I wish I would have done the trailer as it's truly a task for me now each time I go out. That is my ONLY complaint about having a PA. There are tons of guys on here who would help you with advise on what they have done and there are also lots of used jet ski trailers out there just begging for you to buy....If not a trailer, do yourself a favor and just load that beast up through the backgate and use a bed extender type accessory. You DO NOT want to car top a PA 14!! I am a pretty stout young man and I can't imagine putting a PA14 on top of a car.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yeah, over time people definitely get tired of car topping them....I've seen the youtubes and it looks easy....doing it ONCE, but on again off again would get old. I discovered the same pricing relativity yesterday shopping for roof racks, pretty much could get an official yak trailer for that cash. I guess I'll look into boat storage places. I found what I thought to be a great option, a folding folding motorcycle trailer 41 inches wide between the wheel wells, however, I don't think I can make the turn to get out of the covered area I park in.... alright then... Well, if anyone has different opinions on ease (or lack of) with car topping would appreciate the reply. Off to check boat storage options, thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a 2005 4 runner...I was going back and forth as you are now. I ended up getting a trailer and am going to add the pvc bunks for the kayak. It just makes life easier....

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:42 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

proanglertobe wrote:
..... I found what I thought to be a great option, a folding folding motorcycle trailer 41 inches wide between the wheel wells, however, I don't think I can make the turn to get out of the covered area I park in.... alright then... Well, if anyone has different opinions on ease (or lack of) with car topping would appreciate the reply. Off to check boat storage options, thanks!

When I transport the PA12 & Revo 11, they're on a SportRigs Micro Trailer (think steel Rack-n-Roll).
I've found that when I'm returning home, I find that it's a lot easier to unhook the trailer and walk it up the driveway...really simple.
This may be a simple solution to your situation.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey there,

I car top a PA12 on a 2007 FJ Cruiser. Plastic bars are rated @ 150 on there as well, but the frame is metal so I went with cross bars that are made my innova, dropped them on top of the stock rack, put on an innova cradle on the front, hulley rollers on the back, and i'm in business.

roll it up diagonal behind fj, back of kayak in line w/spare, lift front of kayak to rest on spare tire, lift back of kayak up and push forward... roll on the rollers, strap her down (front, back, side, side for any slippage) and i'm off rolling. it's a bit of a process, but well worth the effort.

i would see if the outside frame and footings of your stock rack are metal and braced to the frame like the fj (being a toyota.. possible similarities) and if so, you should be set.

rock on

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:54 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Here is a post about my setup on my 2006 Toyota Highlander. I still use this setup today and it works great.

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=22283

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm waiting to post some pictures of all the new things I picked up this year... Went from a 2013 PA 12 to a 2014 PA 14. When I get everything finished you may be interested in one of the purchases I made. I'm short and not very strong and even if I was Its hard and awkward to get a PA on ur roof. A trailer would be ideal but unfortunately not an option for me either. I ended up going with the Rhino Rack NKL (Nautic Kayak Lifter). It was a real pain to acquire all that I needed to make it work but I will post a video and some pictures in a week or so after I have wrapped up all my projects.