Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: PA17 Tandem
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Question for Admin or someone with insight on the Lowramce Ready spot.

Will the ready spot be big enough to house the lowrance structure scan transducer? The LSS-2 one which is 12 inches.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:13 am 
Site Admin

rangerangler275 wrote:
Question for Admin or someone with insight on the Lowramce Ready spot.

Will the ready spot be big enough to house the lowrance structure scan transducer? The LSS-2 one which is 12 inches.

No... the mount is same size as PA14/12 and other Lowrance ready boats.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:08 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Bummer on thanks!! I still want one lol. Fall can't come soon enough.

Post subject: Re: PA 17
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Gas Yakker wrote:
I literally thought this was a practical joke some photoshop wiz put together when I saw it.

Not trying to be a party pooper, but was there really a demand for this? I don't recall too many people saying they really wanted a tandem PA other than to occaisionally take their spouse or kids out. Last thing I'd want is another adult on a 17' narrow beam fishing boat. I just don't get it I guess.

I have held off getting the PA14 for two years because I was looking to find ways to modify it to seat two so I can take my 7 year old son with me on the water.

The authorized dealer here in my location had a PA14 with the vantage seat connected behind the center seat. I thought this was cool, but at an additional $500+ for the seat, I had to back off.

Now this PA17T comes out and I'm all over it! Now my wife and two sons(4 and7) will be able to navigate the lakes here in Central Florida.

The Dune color scheme is very conservative and I assume it will not get as hot as a Yellow or Green one. I could wait another year for more color choices, but I think I'll take the plunge.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I did not get a full answer on the Dolly. I currently have a dolley for the PA14s will this dolley work for the PA17. If not what is the difference in the dolleys and if it's just the cradles can that be bought seperatly so I don't have to spend another $500+ for a different dolly.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

rangerangler275 wrote:
I did not get a full answer on the Dolly. I currently have a dolley for the PA14s will this dolley work for the PA17. If not what is the difference in the dolleys and if it's just the cradles can that be bought seperatly so I don't have to spend another $500+ for a different dolly.

Everyone is at the Outdoor Retail show - we'll get back to you with a reply. We don't know the answer at this point. I believe the cradle is a different shape - but you should be able to just mount a new cradle onto your cart axle and re-use your wheels - that wouldn't be $500 - mush less under $100 I believe retail for just the cradle currently.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

SteveLIBS wrote:
I presume the 'social seating' requires a 3rd drive well facing backwards under the vantage seat...I didn't see it discussed much in the vid. I imagine putting the drive in backwards so the driver in front can move the boat in reverse, while the driver in back can move the boat forward. Crazy. The rails seem more square, maybe just in places, to accommodate what looks like a new accessory mounting system. An XL size live well and h-bar. Add FF, trolling motor, power pole and trailer and we've got a great parent-child or guide fishing machine. This will also rock in "car-topper" tournaments and big boat tournaments that allow car-toppers. Screw the john boat, this things rules.

The only rack you can safely put a Hobie 17 on is a steel frame one on a pickup truck. The bare hull before adding anything weighs 185 lbs. and both Thule and Yakima rate their roof racks for a maximum total weight of 165 lbs.

This is a trailer only kayak and the logical extension of the smaller but still very heavy Pro Angler boats. A fellow has his Malone kayak trailer up for sale on Craigslist in northern CA and it is because even that does not work with the two PA12's he and his wife use. He had a jet ski trailer modified so he can launch the boats directly into the water from the submerged trailer.

It will be interesting to see how many PA17 owners equip their boats with a Torqeedo drive to replace one of the two Mirage drive units.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Wintersun wrote:
It will be interesting to see how many PA17 owners equip their boats with a Torqeedo drive to replace one of the two Mirage drive units.

… or maybe even put three Torqeedos in! :twisted:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Can I get an update on the hobie dolly requirements?

Also what are the trailer dimensions that hobie has developed? I have a modified boat trailer but I need to know how fare the groove under the boat are apart to fix a proper holding platform.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I believe the trailer is the same Hobie Trailex trailer used for the single TI and that has cradles designed to fit the PA-17 hull.
This is the P/N for the single TI trailer is # 38652001 TRAILEX TRAILER - Single TI...it has a 350 pound capacity.

If for some reason, you need a trailer with a greater capacity, the 550 pound capacity trailer is # 38652200 TRAILEX TRAILER - Double

I am sure that Hobie/Matt will respond with the part numbers and cost for the cradles designed to fit the PA-17.