Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi,
Apologies, as I'm certain this has been discussed, but for the life of me I can't find a post anywhere. My PA14's rudder will not move to either side. The cables inside have not broken. When I remove the cover and look at the assembly, it does not budge in either direction. I can hardly move the rudder myself lying underneath the kayak. Is it normal for the rudder to get so tight? Should I try oiling the assembly and waiting a while? What gives? All suggestions appreciated as I had to use my small paddle as a rudder today, and it's annoying.
Nelson

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Assuming the rudder did work and was not too tight......I would check to make sure the foam blocks on both sides, under the rudder tiller/handle, inside the hull, have not moved and possibly jammed the steering. That seems to be the most logical to me unless the rudder up/down line has somehow jammed the rudder turning drum.....that would be easy to see/inspect with the cover removed.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

You might try releasing the tension by pulling out the tension adjuster. Then slowly tighten it back checking throw as you go. If it doesn't move after releasing the tension then something must be blocking the action.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the suggestion. And sorry to add another question. What/where is the tension adjuster?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:06 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
When I remove the cover and look at the assembly, it does not budge in either direction.

Contact your dealer and file a warranty claim. You can get a new rudder post and brass insert. Your's is seized.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I had the same problem. The SS post and the brass welded together. Saltwater will do funny things. Hobie handled it under warranty.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Although I have only fished in fresh water, I did "liberally lube" my rudder post with Evenrude/Johnson waterproof grease when I changed my rudder to the larger model......nice to know about the potential of salt water corrosion/seizing.

Post subject: Same problem, I think.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:35 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all -

I'm having this same problem. My 2013 PA 14 sat in the Florida heat this summer for several months as I was recovering from an injury. I put it in the water the other day the the rudder would drop easily, but it would not budge when I tried to turn it. Damn, and I just knew I was going to have a good day fishing in Estero Bay that morning....

Anyway, I've never done any significant work on this kayak up until now. I want to remove the assemble to validate that I have the seized post problem, although I'm pretty certain since I can move pull the cables where they are attached to the cam just fine (in other words, they are not jammed inside the hull of the boat). But the rudder will not turn, even if I attempt to turn it manually from below.

Is there an instruction manual on how to remove the assembly? I see that little pin that appears to hold it in place from above. Do I just tap that out? I don't want to cause any additional damage.

Any other advice is appreciated. I need to go fishing! :x