Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

...what would you get? My 13 yr old Dodge Dakota quad cab std bed truck is being put out to pasture in a few months so I am fantasizing about a replacement vehicle. I use the truck for light duty hauling and for fishing. My PA14 is usually trailered, but for some tight-turn launch spots I prefer to throw it in the back and use a bed extender. My gear (rods, cart, paddle, net, 2 coolers, flag, PFD, etc) are always transported in the bed. So far I've been lucky, but whatever I don't take out on the water is open season for anyone with sticky fingers. In the winter I haul several flip-up ice shanties, jet sled and related bulky gear. So my question: In order to better secure things left behind when out on the lake, should I be looking for a camper-top arrangement on a pickup, or a different class of vehicle such as the now discontinued GMC Jimmy (drop-down tailgate with a full roof over the bed)? Who's got what and how does it work for your PA/gear without a trailer?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have a hard tonneau cover and it works great ..... close it and lock it ....... Hard to break into and can't see in. The only problem is That it doesn't give the height of a full cap

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I roll with a F150 with a backflip tonneau. You can fold it up while your PA is in the bed and lay it flat to lock the bed up when your on the water.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sounds like the tonneau cover may work for summer - I had not considered that option.
Anybody with a standard cap want to comment on how easy or hard they are to remove when necessary for hauling large items (like moving day for getting kids back to college)? Would not happen often, but from the looks of these caps, I suspect you try to avoid removal wherever possible.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:23 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I run a Honda Ridgeline, has the hard cover over the bed. My hard cover you can stand on or even jump up and down on. I also have a trunk beneath the bed and good bit of storage under the rear seat, which flips up (they advertise a bag of golf clubs will fit under there with the seat down... but I don't golf).. 4 wd, I regularly trailer a 24 ft Mako and have pulled it out of some pretty bad landings. Very comfortable to travel in and can trailer my yaks or put them on the roof rack if I choose. When I "roofed" my yaks I would open the tailgate, lay the yak crossways on the tailgate, open the bed cover half-way (one flip) stand up in the bed, lift the yak from the tailgate and swing it around to lay across the half closed bed cover. step up on that and lift the kayak and swing it around onto the roof rack... no over my head stuff, having to stick the nose up first, no pad to put on the roof, no extra rack mounted at end of truck bed... this is my second Ridgeline... love the dam thing...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

redsinthehead wrote:
I run a Honda Ridgeline, has the hard cover over the bed. My hard cover you can stand on or even jump up and down on. I also have a trunk beneath the bed and good bit of storage under the rear seat, which flips up (they advertise a bag of golf clubs will fit under there with the seat down... but I don't golf).. 4 wd, I regularly trailer a 24 ft Mako and have pulled it out of some pretty bad landings. Very comfortable to travel in and can trailer my yaks or put them on the roof rack if I choose. When I "roofed" my yaks I would open the tailgate, lay the yak crossways on the tailgate, open the bed cover half-way (one flip) stand up in the bed, lift the yak from the tailgate and swing it around to lay across the half closed bed cover. step up on that and lift the kayak and swing it around onto the roof rack... no over my head stuff, having to stick the nose up first, no pad to put on the roof, no extra rack mounted at end of truck bed... this is my second Ridgeline... love the dam thing...

We have a Ridgeline, and even my wife loves it. There is a lockable storage area in the rear of the bed. We keep our valuables there and my Spey Fly Rods/Reels and lines.

The Ridgeline has an excellent towing package and can handle any Hobie on any legal trailer.

Last year I started putting our Oasis in the truck bed for short trips to avoid the hassle of trailers in parking lots.

The link below describes what we use and how to put our Oasis in/on the Ridgeline's truck bed. The PA is shorter and not that much heavier up front, (you only lift half of a yak at a time to load and unload it.

The gear costs about $170 and can be stored easily and in small places.

Be sure to check your state laws re how much overhang can be behind your pickup.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=47255&p=207891&hilit=net+bed+extender#p207891

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My pa 12 fits in my gmc cargo van with doors shut you would have to tie doors together

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Ridgeline looks interesting because of the lockable underbed "trunk". I am concerned about the short bed length, though. I use a bed extender now with my Dakota standard sized bed and the PA hangs a good way out. I am NOT interested in putting the PA on the roof as some have demonstrated is possible with this vehicle.
G-Pa Spey, Reds: 1) Do you think it would be OK to haul a PA-14 short (5-20 mile) distances on a bed extender with this vehicle?
2) If so, would the vertical profile of the PA-14 fit beneath a hard tonneau cover?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:52 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

When I brought my PA14 home I used my Ridgie and a bed extender.... I already had a trailer, so I switched it over after I set up the PVC bunks... no problem hauling it in the bed for as long a distance as you want. It fit fine underneath the hard cover.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jim_MI wrote:
The Ridgeline looks interesting because of the lockable underbed "trunk". I am concerned about the short bed length, though. I use a bed extender now with my Dakota standard sized bed and the PA hangs a good way out. I am NOT interested in putting the PA on the roof as some have demonstrated is possible with this vehicle.
G-Pa Spey, Reds: 1) Do you think it would be OK to haul a PA-14 short (5-20 mile) distances on a bed extender with this vehicle?
2) If so, would the vertical profile of the PA-14 fit beneath a hard tonneau cover?

I don't know about fitting under the hard tonneau cover.

Below are excellent videos re the ease of using a bed extender with a PA and a Ridgeline and another short bed pickup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9URvFmxh80

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryrXEaGF3DI

Of course you need to strap your PA down in the bed and onto the bed extender and have a red or orange flag on the tail of your yak. Check your state laws re overhang length.

We have had no distortion problems with our Oasis in our Ridgeline pickup bed for short hauls. If we take it on longer hauls, I will buy a floor runner mat from Walmart with the thick memory foam to lay the yak on in the truck bed.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:16 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a Toyota Tundra that I will carry my PA14 on whenever it comes in. Still waiting for 2015s to come in. I will use a load extender to support the part that sticks out.

Carlos

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

carlosh wrote:
I have a Toyota Tundra that I will carry my PA14 on whenever it comes in. Still waiting for 2015s to come in. I will use a load extender to support the part that sticks out.

Carlos

Enjoy the combo.

A little hint, get a load extender that bends up or goes up due to design. Backing into a street or down a ramp with our Oasis, the bottom of the load extender can scrape. I never had that problem with our Freedom Hawks. They were shorter and placed less of a load on the extender.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:10 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Ford Raptor. 4-door version for whitewater shuttle runs.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Grampa Spey: Excellent suggestion. I never thought that could be a problem, but I can see how it might. :D

I'm going to continue with the current L shaped load support until after I pick up the kayak. I live on North Padre Island near Corpus Christi and will have to drive to San Antonio to pick it up when it comes in, about 150 miles each way. After I get it home, I will cut the support at an angle and shape it to fit the hull. I buy cutting boards and cut them up for projects like that. That material is excellent to use as glides so that the kayak doesn't rub on metal. Yes, I do my own welding.

By the way, I learned from Hobie that they will ship some kayaks to the San Antonio store on Sept. 22nd and that I should allow a week for delivery. Man, I can't stand it!