Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Truth be know I have been creeping the Hobie forum for months now. Reading and enjoying all of your posts. The information has been very helpful in making my final decision. Last week I purchased a used 2014 Pro Angler 14 nicely outfitted. If I have learned anything from all these months of reding and paying attention is that there is always more to add, right?

I took it out on a local pond the other day for my maiden voyage. I have owned a Pungo 100 for years, this is a massive step up. The seat is incredubly comfortable. That was important to me as I have had two back surgeries. The peddling was interesting, I have always paddled. I was impressed with how it handled considering the size and mass of the kayak.

I'm very happy with the purchase and look forward to posting and contributing as I go along.

I purchased a Lund bed extender for my short bed truck and it works great. I hope to get out this week for some fishing. Wish me luck.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Very nice looking ride! Welcome to the PA family! :D

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Looks like you got her set up pretty nice. All I can add is that you have to get the new enlarged rudder if you haven't yet, it will make handling night and day from how she sits now. Have a ball.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just a word of caution if you install the optional, larger rudder......you can't stand the PA up on the back/stern as the rudder hangs down about 1.5" below the hull.......you need to use a couple of block of wood to elevate the stern, to prevent damaging the rudder assembly....Having owned an Outback previously and added the sailing rudder...this change was a very significant improvement, especially if you are using a down rigger.
Now that I have a few months under my belt, of using the optional rudder on my PA-14, IMHO it's only a minor improvement.....more of a physiological change as I really did not have any issues of tracking with the original rudder while using my down rigger....on a scale of 1-10, I give it 1.5 or a 15% improvement :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Good to know SHC. I don't want to try to solve a problem and create another. I retired, if it takes a little longer to turn that 's ok, I'm in no rush. At some point in the future I can see a trailer for hauling the PA-14. I've already started to look around to see what is out there. Thanks for the heads up. Much appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:01 am 
Site Rank - Captain

"If it takes a little longer to turn, that's ok"
That is one of the best replies I have seen in years. :-)
Jim