Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:59 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I also have used this forum as a reference ultimately ending up in a purchase of PA14. So far the only mods have been to create a storage/trailering option as I get a feel for where I may want rod holders, sonar/gps etc. I may start another topic for my trailer mods as I think it may benefit others.

My question for now is: would a 4' lock be enough to wrap through the mirage drive well and around the bunk/pvc on a trailer (I suspect the distance is very similar across all trailers and mine is currently stored 2 hours from where I am). If somebody could speak up it would be appreciated as I am hoping to pick up a lock before my next visit to the cottage.

Thanks in advance and thanks for all the contributors to the thread, it is a fantastic resource and perhaps an even better marketing tool for Hobie.
Rick

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Rick,

That's a great question especially if you are storing the PA at a location that is not near you. I use on of those heavy duty security cables (can find them in Walmart) that has a loop on each end and the cable is covered in thick clear plastic. I take the cable through the Mirage drive openings on both PAs and route it around the frame of the trailer. I use a 15 foot cable and the secure then ends with a heavy duty lock.

If someone really wanted to take either PA, I'm sure they could find a way to cut the cable or the lock with the right tool. If you have something that goes through the Mirage Drive opening and around the hull, that would be the best option, As far as wrapping it around the PVC, it would be no different.

Keep in mind that kayaks are pretty cheap to get insurance for (either boat or adding them to a homeowner's policy). That would give you good piece of mind. Welcome to the PA family. Post some pictures! :D

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I recommend the 10' from Walmart. That way you can run it through a wheel on your trailer as well.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I learn something every time I come to browse the forum. Running it down through the mirage opening and then through the wheel of the trailer is a great idea. I will check with my insurance agent to add it to my policy. Thanks again for all the wonderful information.