Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I purchased this kayak in May of 2011 and have used it about 20 times maybe 25 but last two times out i noticed water in my hull when returning. At first I thought it was splash from over the front. I bailed it out and my next time out noticed it again, so when I got home I filled hull with water and found scupper holes dripping. I contacted my dealer for some possible help and Hobie responded with a repair procedure that included welding leak area and installing cut pvc pipe into scupper holes with glue.(They sent a repair process to my dealer.) This is my issue they say it is from excessive use I have not spent almost $4000 to only use it 25 times ! I look at area they want repair made and the material is thin if I weld it it would make the hole larger tho is not split it is worn threw. I used the cart that is made for this kayak and it has never been loaded improperly to split hull. This kayak is on a trailer and rarely on cart. I feel that there is a issue with the scupper posts and not my usage as the issue all the new kayaks have scupper tubes built into hull differently because of the previous issues and they are trying to pass the blame onto me.I feel this is an inadequate repair for a defect that they know exists and this is just a bandaid to the problem. Any one else seeing these issues ? I purchased this kayak because I thought this was a reputable company . This is not acceptable!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

If they designed it so the wheels are put in that place .And they know that you will put them there.They know the seat sits against it and you back pressure is against it. Then they should make sure it will hold all the weight and force put apon it . If not their design is a failure and they should fix it. At their cost.
If they corrected it in the new Kayaks then they knew it was a failure on their part and it finally caught up to them and now it is costing them money to fix. Not our problem !.

We pay alot of money for these and expect them to float forever. Obviously operator error : rammimg into a bridge is my own fault..
Plastic does not break down. It is clear the mold is not thick enough in that area and should be rectified by them.
Wear parts such as the gaskets are meant to be taken care of by us . Not hull redesign and fixing cracks in it .

Don't be surprised if they just fill in the scupper holes for the cart and make you buy a lay on top of cart to correct the problem in the future.

Ever think about how hard you jerk back while snagging bunker some times?
I'm surprised my seat strap has not snapped from the eyelets it's anchored to.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

mrfixit, I have a friend who had the same problem as you. We fixed it by lining the inside of the scupper with a piece of steel conduit. It was a snug fit and I also flared the inboard end of the insert so that it would just sit level with the deck. We then took some marine goop, liberally smeared the exterior of the scupper tubes inside the hull, (especially in the area of the stress fracture), take a piece of rubber garden hose, slit it lengthwise wrap it around the exterior of the scupper tubes and clamp tight with two stainless steel strap, hose clamps. He has never had a leak since (3 years) I lined the scupper holes with the metal pipe and have never had a leak caused by the cart causing the scuppers to flex. The cart still fits in the scupper tubes but they never fail now. I know my chum carries a lot of weight in his hull and has never had a problem since we reinforced his scuppers.
From what I can understand, Hobie has acknowledged, and actually fixed, their design fault/scupper problem. They too, reinforced them during the manufacturing process. I suspect you will have to do as we have done because your hull guarantee has long expired. It is not a really difficult fix. Good luck.

Regards.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:11 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I was unhappy about the repair process I expressed this to Hobie threw my dealer and they offered a pro rate on a new hull. I opted to go with a 2014 hull so it was a little pricy but Im still happy with the results hopefully I have no future issues.( the major cost was the upgrade on the new seat )