Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Anyone install the new big rudder on their PA's. If so, any pictures of remedies to solve the loading issues into the back of a truck. I made a U shape thingy out of 2x4's, but want something more innovative.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Seems to me that 2 x 4's is very innovative :wink:
I have the larger rudder on my PA-14, but carry it on my Hobie Trailex trailer......no problem as loading directly from the water does not require standing it on the aft "skids".
Assuming you have/use a "cart of some description", unless there is a second person available to help load it into your truck, the stern still needs to be elevated so the rudder is not damaged.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:30 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

G,day bfail
I have fitted the larger rudder to PA 12, I overcome the problem of the protruding rudder by getting a short length of heavy wall PVC pipe, I cut this so it is about 6 or 7 inches wider than the hull at the rear bung skid plates, I then cut a slot into the pipe deep and wide enough so it gives the blade plenty of clearance, it does not have to be that long as you have only an inch or two of the blade that needs to be protected , this is why you need the heavy wall, the pipe still retains strength when its cut, as I have a anchor trolley on each side of the hull I found that I could run a adjustable, lockable flat webbing strap around each end of the pipe, then pass the webbing in between the hull and the trolley ropes, over the top of the hull, when you pull tension on the webbing and lock it off you will find that the pipe has found a locking position in the hollow on the skid plates, this is good! I have used this many times and have had no issues with the pipe moving out of the locked in position.
The pulley blocks and ropes on each side keep the webbing from moving aft when loading, when the PA is on the vehicle simply release the webbing strap and pull the pipe out from the loops then grab hold of the webbing and put the lot away, costs, about $20.00 Aus at the most.
I load my PA onto the top of a Suzuki Vitara wagon using a T bar loader with no problems.
sorry no photos cant work out how to put them on this web site.

Hope it helps

KEEVO52

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi keevo52, would love to see a pic of what you have done. Please post :-)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

keevo52 wrote:
G,day bfail
I have fitted the larger rudder to PA 12, I overcome the problem of the protruding rudder by getting a short length of heavy wall PVC pipe, I cut this so it is about 6 or 7 inches wider than the hull at the rear bung skid plates, I then cut a slot into the pipe deep and wide enough so it gives the blade plenty of clearance, it does not have to be that long as you have only an inch or two of the blade that needs to be protected , this is why you need the heavy wall, the pipe still retains strength when its cut, as I have a anchor trolley on each side of the hull I found that I could run a adjustable, lockable flat webbing strap around each end of the pipe, then pass the webbing in between the hull and the trolley ropes, over the top of the hull, when you pull tension on the webbing and lock it off you will find that the pipe has found a locking position in the hollow on the skid plates, this is good! I have used this many times and have had no issues with the pipe moving out of the locked in position.
The pulley blocks and ropes on each side keep the webbing from moving aft when loading, when the PA is on the vehicle simply release the webbing strap and pull the pipe out from the loops then grab hold of the webbing and put the lot away, costs, about $20.00 Aus at the most.
I load my PA onto the top of a Suzuki Vitara wagon using a T bar loader with no problems.

Hope it helps

KEEVO52

YES PLEASE PICS PICS and MORE PICS!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I didn't get the large rudder yet but I figured on a 2x4 "u" track. But keevo's idea is awesome. No need to get any more complicated. Even without dual trolleys it couldn't be too hard to rig with a bungee.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

keevo52 wrote:
G,day bfail

Hope it helps

KEEVO52

If you could send me a pic to [email protected], I can upload it for you. It's pretty easy. It would help us all out a lot! Thanks a lot.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I've got one, and just don't worry about it. I roll it up on my beach wheels, put the nose in, and slide it on in. I've not noticed any problems with it dragging on the pavement when I do this.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Mine has already been boogered up because it takes the full weight of the kayak when loading and unloading. If I'm ever unloading on a rough surface, it won't slide down and just gets stuck.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Here are the pictures so far. You can see my mods vs. Keevo52. I need to do work on mine, but will get there eventually.

Kevvo's

My Mods

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Great stuff, thanks for the photos gentlemen.

Russ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:38 pm 

Last edited by BassinProf on Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:04 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yes please

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

ImageImage

With the new rudder on I screwed some 50mm black rubber door stoppers on, haven't tried it yet but doesn't look too bad.

Hope this is of some help.
Russ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:04 pm 

Last edited by BassinProf on Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.