Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 11:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ready to roll!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

After buying my PA-14 awhile back I first purchased a bed extender for my truck. Not a problem loading it into the back on the flat but I found out quickly that the angles at the boat ramps were just too much for this old man after two back surgeries, two shoulder surgeries and I didn't want to have to try to flip it on its side to insert the wheels and drag it up a slippery ramp. Some day when all you young people get old you'll understand. I just don't bounce back from injuries like I use to. So I decided to take the plundge. I got an end of season deal on a brand new galvanized 14 foot bunk trailer. I worked on it last week and finished up my mods. Thanks to all the posts I have read over the last year I knew right were I needed to go with the mods. So I gathered up my materials and made it happen. I'm very happy with the results. I used unistrut to mount the schedule 40 to the trailer.

Post subject: Re: Ready to roll!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

That looks great. The next trailer I get will be modeled after this one. Can you upgrade to some bigger wheels?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great looking setup! :D

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

greenmerc77 wrote:
That looks great. The next trailer I get will be modeled after this one. Can you upgrade to some bigger wheels?

Yes, there is plenty of room for larger tires.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Nice setup! Trailering PAs is definitely the way to go! Makes you not dread launching and loading.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:44 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

That's a sharp trailer set up. If I ever decide to go the trainer route I am also going to model mine after this.

Hobie Pro Angler 12 (awesome)
Native Mariner 12.5 (sucks)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Trailering the PA-14 makes is so much easier. I'm certain there will be spots that the trailer is not going to be able to work. I have the bed extender for that if I get into that type of situation. If this is the case there may be a 12 volt winch mounted in the bed of my truck, that should do the trick.

There is nothing special with what I have done, I just followed the lead of those before me who posted great ideas for build and mods to the forum.

Another mod I needed to make is on the small front bumper where the front handle of the kak sits. When I got the trailer the bumper was oriented in the wrong direction to hold to yak in place. I removed it and drilled a new hole through the bumper in the opposite direction and reinstalled it. Turns out in that orientation it was short in the front and the metal bumper bracket hit the front handle. I did not want to be towing the yak with metal rubbing the handle.

So it was back to the boat yard for a larger oversized bumper. I cut out sections of the bumper to it would fit the metal supports and drilled a new hole in the correct orientation. Worked great, now the bumper sticks out far ahead of the metal bracket. No more rubbing.

Final two mods. I used the bunk brackets that came with the trailer to mount my PVC uprights on the back. They are a huge help when backing up the trailer, now I can see just how badly I am at backing up a trailer.

The other thing I decided upon was mounting the bunks to the trailer just in case I ever have to walk out on the trailer when launching or reloading. Why not use them? They would just be taking up space in my shed. So I just lag bolted from underneath through the unistrut holes. Boom, done! I may never use them but they are there just in case.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

As someone who hates to admit, I have buried my nose onto the back of my Hobie PA14 while attempting to bed load on a slippery ramp. I saw the little birdies for a little while and left some blood. It was an experience(not a good one though).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ouch! Before I got my trailer I figured out that I could back my truck all the way down to the water where the rear tires were at the water and stand in the bed and lift a little bit and pull it into the bed of my truck. Now with my trailer and me being lazy I back it into the water and load it that way. Haha

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

pa14naz wrote:
As someone who hates to admit, I have buried my nose onto the back of my Hobie PA14 while attempting to bed load on a slippery ramp. I saw the little birdies for a little while and left some blood. It was an experience(not a good one though).

At my age getting hurt is not an option if I can help it. That's why I went with the trailer.

joshmcd11 wrote:
Ouch! Before I got my trailer I figured out that I could back my truck all the way down to the water where the rear tires were at the water and stand in the bed and lift a little bit and pull it into the bed of my truck. Now with my trailer and me being lazy I back it into the water and load it that way. Haha

I'm all over lazy on this issue, with ya 100%. Not only that it becomes the correct storage option when the yak waiting for the next time out. It's a win win.