Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Battery Question
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:27 pm 

Last edited by BassinProf on Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Battery Question
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Short answer IMHO "No Problem".

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Slightly longer answer....No. that battery doesn't weigh enough to matter. You can order a battery holder from your Hobie dealer to clamp on to that front post. I think it's under $15.

"A wet bird never flies at night"

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

NINCO1 wrote:
Slightly longer answer....No. that battery doesn't weigh enough to matter. You can order a battery holder from your Hobie dealer to clamp on to that front post. I think it's under $15.

That holder will not hold the 10ah battery it only fits the 8ah battery I just purchased one and it don't fit mine (10 ah) . Now I'm going to mount it Back on the floor . I have always had it there but liked the bracket mount better but it don't work. Just looked on Hobie web site they list a 9 ah battery for this bracket I guess they have different sized batteries than I do.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just cut out the rear circular container and a standard battery fit perfectly.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

IMHO, a major advantage with the Hobie 12 V DC gel cell battery is the connectors are "sealed" from the elements and fits the inexpensive battery mount. If you buy the Fish Finder install kit III, it has excellent sealed connectors to eliminate any issues with water shorting out the battery cables.
It allows the user to either mount it to the sail mast tube or in the 8" round hatch......Is it the cheapest battery in the market?...no...but, it is a good quality battery and charger that fits the Hobie battery mount and makes usage very easy to install.
My Humminbird 768 fish finder/GPS is powered by the Hobie battery and after 16 hours of use, without recharging, the battery is still at 12.2 volts (after 15 months of use)....my Humminbird still operates below 9.5 volts DC.
Pick your poison :twisted:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have been researching my options and came upon this battery Battery Tender Lithium Iron Phosphate 12V 14AH 240CCA it says it is only 1.76 pounds and has similar or smaller dimensions that will fit Hobie mount (5.27 inch (134 millimeter) length x 2.55 inch (65 millimeter) width x 3.62 inch (92 millimeter) height; Weight: 1.76 pounds). It also stats this:
Lithium 14AH 240 CCA Features
18 month Shelf Life
Up to 80% lighter than Lead Acid Equivalent
5X the Life of a Lead Acid Battery
Quad Terminal Configuration for ease of installation
2000+ Deep Cycles at 80% Depth of Discharge
Can be mounted in any direction
Lithium Batteries do not sulphate
This does look like a great posibility as a option .Only issue is price at $115 dollars but it is not too bad .

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That sounds like a great battery if cost is not a concern....the weight of my Hobie 8 AH battery, in the Hobie mount is 6.75 pounds.....in any of the Hobie Kayaks, this weight is a non-issue.
I suppose if your kayak electronics had a higher amperage draw or you were unable to recharge the battery in a timely fashion, the Lithium battery is possibly a good choice.
You would still need to consider that the Lithium battery terminals are unsealed, so wet/humid exposure would be an issue.

Lastly, safety/fire hazards of Lithium ion batteries are real and should not be ignored and considered inside a plastic hull......http://www.boatus.com/seaworthy/magazin ... azards.asp

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:57 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

There are significant differences in safety between the lithium battery types. Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) cells are considerably safer than the ones traditionally called 'lithium-ion' (particularly lithium-cobalt, often used for cell phones or laptops). One manufacturer even drove nails through their cells to demonstrate they wouldn't erupt in flames like a Li-Ion could.

Not saying they aren't a potential hazard, any time you have that much energy concentrated in a small package you have to be sure it doesn't get loose.

I'd be fine using LiFePO4 in my yak, though I'd definitely be taking it out for charging - but then I don't charge any removable battery inside the devices anymore, even AA NiMHs. I would want to be sure the LiFePO4 battery had a proper cell balancing circuit inside, or use an external balancing charger, though. The Battery Tender battery listed doesn't mention what sort of cell balancing they use.

Battery University has a chart of safety vs capacity for the various lithium types and what they are used for:
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/arti ... ithium_ion

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Has anyone one of my Hobie friends used DAKOTA LITHIUM 12V 7AH BATTERY and fit this into the Hobie using the mass mount. Does it fit into the existing hobie mass mount battery holder? - price seems reasonable at $69.

I recently bought a Durcal 14AH sealed battery - now finding I can't use my front hatch bucket as the battery interferes with closing the hatch.

I can't see spending 250+ on the FPV

I'm running an elite Ti 9

I'm on local lakes spending bout 2-3 hours on the water - not an all day fisherman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yes! I bought the Dakota 10 Ah battery which I believe is the same size as the 7 Ah battery. It works great and fits into the Hobie battery holder. And is incredibly light weight

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:16 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

kmkm11 wrote:
Has anyone one of my Hobie friends used DAKOTA LITHIUM 12V 7AH BATTERY and fit this into the Hobie using the mass mount. Does it fit into the existing hobie mass mount battery holder? - price seems reasonable at $69.

I recently bought a Durcal 14AH sealed battery - now finding I can't use my front hatch bucket as the battery interferes with closing the hatch.

I can't see spending 250+ on the FPV

I'm running an elite Ti 9

I'm on local lakes spending bout 2-3 hours on the water - not an all day fisherman

Not sure what your battery size requirements are but here's a great buy on a lithium ion 6 ah battery. AND you can charge it with a regular battery charger.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q7FY8CC/?c ... QWX2&psc=1